Cheapest way to lauch 0,8kg out to space?

• Thread starter kosamika
  • Start date
Like others said, I think the balloon idea is your best option. High altitude balloons are an emerging hobby and there's even a lot of open source information behind it.

http://www.sparkfun.com/news/389

Even if the computer dies just as you expect, its still a fun experiment and would be really cool to try. Life is a journey, not a destination. :smile:

DaveC426913
Gold Member
However, I stand by my opinion that this is a waste of time, money and effort (if a real endeavour).
= not a teacher, scientist or parent

my idea was to literaly waste 2000 or 3000 dolars and yes, it has educational purposes

i dont want to use ballons , they do not leave earth
i just want to know if its possible to leave atmosphere carring that weight
but i should suppose its very expensive and not accesible to me

PD:thanks to everybody here , id also apreciate that guy who sayd im wasting my time,
its also an opinion , but it harms my feelings.. :(

Last edited:
Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
my idea was to literaly waste 2000 or 3000 dolars and yes, it has educational purposes

I don't think you're going to be able to build a rocket which can reach "space" for $3,000. Maybe 3-4 times that if you want height and not orbit... and can get the proper permits.

EDIT: based on the NewScientist article, even $12k is probably not enough, maybe $30k (10X your budget).

i dont want to use ballons , they do not leave earth

Define "leave Earth." 1 mile up, 62 miles up, high earth orbit, escape velocity?

i just want to know if its possible to leave atmosphere carring that weight
but i should suppose its very expensive and not accesible to me

Define "leave the atmosphere." Even the ISS in low Earth orbit is subject to atmospheric drag!

PD:thanks to everybody here , id also apreciate that guy who sayd im wasting my time,
its also an opinion , but it harms my feelings.. :(

Please refer to my signature.

Last edited:
Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Please refer to this New Scientist article from 2004:

NewScientist.com said:
An amateur rocket called GoFast has made history by becoming the first such rocket to reach 100 kilometres altitude - the official edge of space.

The seven-metre-tall rocket was launched from Nevada's Black Rock Desert on Monday... The Civilian Space Exploration Team (CSXT) built the rocket at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars. CSXT claims it is the most powerful amateur rocket ever built.
[emphasis added]

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn5005-first-amateur-rocket-blasts-into-space.html

Note that this rocket wasn't even close to achieving orbit, it just shot straight up to the official edge of space and came back down.

Last edited: