Check if the statement is true (algebraic)

• Thread starter Zems
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves solving equations with variables x and y, and the solutions provided in the textbook are x=2 and y=-2. However, after checking with Wolfram Alpha, the correct solutions are x=2.09974 and y=1.84974. The discrepancy between the two results has been noted and will be addressed with the lecturer.
Zems

Homework Statement

I came across this problem in my textbook, i think the answer is wrong. I checked on wolfram alpha and got different results.

Homework Equations

x+y+√(x-y)=2+√6

The Attempt at a Solution

The solutions in the book are x=2 y=-2, however when I substituted it into the equation i get 2=2+√6
The answer i got on wolfram alpha is x=2.09974 and y=1.84974, can anyone help confirm that the solution is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you could solve it by writing two equations in x and y:

x + y = 2

And

x - y = 6

What do you get?

y=-2 and x=4, so the answer in the book is wrong. Thanks, ill have to sort this out with my lecturer.

1. What does it mean to "check if the statement is true" in algebra?

In algebra, "checking if the statement is true" means determining whether a given equation or inequality is true or false based on the values of the variables. It involves substituting the values of the variables into the equation or inequality and evaluating if the resulting statement is true or false.

2. How do I check if a statement is true using algebra?

To check if a statement is true using algebra, you need to follow the order of operations and use the properties of equality and inequality. First, simplify both sides of the equation or inequality using the distributive property, combining like terms, and simplifying fractions. Then, compare the simplified expressions on both sides to determine if they are equal or if one is greater/less than the other.

3. Can I use algebra to check if a statement is true in real-life situations?

Yes, algebra can be used to check if a statement is true in real-life situations. For example, if you are given a budget and a list of expenses, you can use algebra to check if the total amount of expenses is within the budget or if you need to make adjustments. Algebra can also be used to solve problems related to speed, distance, and time in real-life situations.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when checking if a statement is true in algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid when checking if a statement is true in algebra include not following the order of operations, making errors while simplifying expressions, and forgetting to distribute negative signs. It is also important to double-check your work and ensure that you have correctly substituted values into the equation or inequality.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to make checking if a statement is true easier in algebra?

Yes, there are some tricks that can make checking if a statement is true easier in algebra. For example, when solving inequalities, you can multiply or divide both sides by a negative number, but you must flip the inequality symbol. Another trick is to use the commutative and associative properties to rearrange the terms in an equation or inequality to make it easier to solve. However, it is important to always show your work and not rely solely on these shortcuts.