Determining if the statement is true

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
In summary: It doesn't work backwards. Given ##n^2=6k##, how can we know that there is another factor ##6##? It is true, but the proof is a bit more complicated.Say we have ##6\,|\,n^2## and ##n^2=6k=2\cdot 3\cdot k##. Now ##2\,|\,n^2=n\cdot n##. As ##2## is a prime number, it has to divide one of the factors, by the definition of a prime number. So ##2\,|\,n##. The same is true for ##3##, and if ##2\,|
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Let n be fixed positive integer, is it true regardless of n?

(a) If n is divisible by 6, then n2 is divisible by 6.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) so far I have n=6k and n2=6k, however I am unsure of where exactly I have to go from there?
I think this statement is true because I tested numbers in place of n so I think it is true, but I know that is not enough to determine if it really is true and I am having trouble figuring out the next step.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ver_mathstats said:

Homework Statement

Let n be fixed positive integer, is it true regardless of n?

(a) If n is divisible by 6, then n2 is divisible by 6.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) so far I have n=6k and n2=6k, however I am unsure of where exactly I have to go from there?
I think this statement is true because I tested numbers in place of n so I think it is true, but I know that is not enough to determine if it really is true and I am having trouble figuring out the next step.

Thank you.
If ##n=6k## then what is ##n^2?##

fresh_42 said:
If ##n=6k## then what is ##n^2?##

Would I have to take the square root of n2 and 6k? Which then would become n = √6k. Or would I have to do n2=62k2?
Or is n2 = √36k2?

It is always a good strategy to list what is given, and maybe to write down what has to be achieved. Maybe, because that can also be a distraction. Some students tend to use what they have to show, which of course is forbidden. At least as long you don't perform an indirect proof, in which case the opposite of what has to be shown is assumed to be true.

1. Here we have ##6\,|\,n## or as you correctly said: ##n=6\cdot k## for some ##k##.
2. We want the same for ##n^2##, i.e. ##6\,|\,n^2## resp. ##n^2=6 \cdot m## for some ##m##.

Now use what is given: ##n=6\cdot k##. Then ##n^2=n\cdot n= 6^2\cdot k^2## and the only thing left is to write it as ##n^2=6 \cdot m##.

fresh_42 said:
It is always a good strategy to list what is given, and maybe to write down what has to be achieved. Maybe, because that can also be a distraction. Some students tend to use what they have to show, which of course is forbidden. At least as long you don't perform an indirect proof, in which case the opposite of what has to be shown is assumed to be true.

1. Here we have ##6\,|\,n## or as you correctly said: ##n=6\cdot k## for some ##k##.
2. We want the same for ##n^2##, i.e. ##6\,|\,n^2## resp. ##n^2=6 \cdot m## for some ##m##.

Now use what is given: ##n=6\cdot k##. Then ##n^2=n\cdot n= 6^2\cdot k^2## and the only thing left is to write it as ##n^2=6 \cdot m##.

I am unsure of how to get to n2=6m but I thought that if nn=62m2 then it would also become (6m)(6m).

ver_mathstats said:
I am unsure of how to get to n2=6m but I thought that if nn=62m2 then it would also become (6m)(6m).
Sure. There is nothing more to do. It was an easy exercise. In such cases it is important to be precise, e.g. you can write ##n^2=n\cdot n=(6k)\cdot(6k)=6\cdot(6k^2)## and so ##6\,|\,n^2##.

fresh_42 said:
Sure. There is nothing more to do. It was an easy exercise. In such cases it is important to be precise, e.g. you can write ##n^2=n\cdot n=(6k)\cdot(6k)=6\cdot(6k^2)## and so ##6\,|\,n^2##.

Okay I understand now, thank you, also if n2 is divisible by 6, then n is divisible by 6 it would be the same as the other statement but just now we are working backwards?

ver_mathstats said:
Okay I understand now, thank you, also if n2 is divisible by 6, then n is divisible by 6 it would be the same as the other statement but just now we are working backwards?
It doesn't work backwards. Given ##n^2=6k##, how can we know that there is another factor ##6##? It is true, but the proof is a bit more complicated.

Say we have ##6\,|\,n^2## and ##n^2=6k=2\cdot 3\cdot k##. Now ##2\,|\,n^2=n\cdot n##. As ##2## is a prime number, it has to divide one of the factors, by the definition of a prime number. So ##2\,|\,n##. The same is true for ##3##, and if ##2\,|\,n## and ##3\,|\,n## then ##2\cdot 3 = 6 \,|\,n##.

But from ##6\,|\,n^2## alone it is not clear how ##6## is in ##n##; it could have been split. O.k. not in this case, but consider the following example: ##25\,|\,100=10^2## but ##25\,\nmid\,10##.

Do you see what makes the proof for ##6\,|\,n^2## different from the example ##25\,|\,100\,?## Why doesn't the proof work for ##25\,|\,100## although ##5## is a prime?

If n=6k , then ## n^2 =(6k
ver_mathstats said:
This has to see with the general concept of prime ( and not just for natural numbers) . P is a prime if p|ab implies p|a or p|b (p|x:= " p divides x " )

1. How do you determine if a statement is true?

To determine if a statement is true, you must gather evidence and facts to support or refute the statement. This can include conducting experiments, analyzing data, and consulting reliable sources.

2. What is the scientific method for determining if a statement is true?

The scientific method involves formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence. This process allows for objective and systematic testing of statements.

3. Can a statement ever be proven to be 100% true?

In science, it is not possible to prove a statement to be 100% true. This is because new evidence and information can always arise that may challenge or change our understanding of a particular statement.

4. How do you account for bias when determining if a statement is true?

Bias can be accounted for by using rigorous and objective methods, such as blind or double-blind experiments, and by considering multiple sources of evidence. It is also important to critically evaluate the validity and reliability of the evidence.

5. What role does peer review play in determining if a statement is true?

Peer review is an essential part of the scientific process. It involves having experts in the field review and critique research and findings before they are published. This helps to ensure that the evidence and conclusions presented are valid and reliable.