How to determine if a statement is true

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
In summary, the statement "If n is divisible by 6, then n is divisible by 9" is false. This can be demonstrated by providing a counterexample, such as the numbers 6, 12, or 30. Any counterexample proves the statement to be false, as a true statement cannot have any counterexamples.
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Determine if the statement is true, n is a fixed positive integer.

If n is divisible by 6, then n is divisible by 9.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this statement is false because 6 is divisible by 6, however not divisible by 9. I showed a counterexample, is that enough to demonstrate that it is a false statement?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. ##12## is another counterexample as is ##30##. There are many.

LCKurtz said:
Yes. ##12## is another counterexample as is ##30##. There are many.
Thank you very much.

ver_mathstats said:

Homework Statement

Determine if the statement is true, n is a fixed positive integer.

If n is divisible by 6, then n is divisible by 9.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this statement is false because 6 is divisible by 6, however not divisible by 9. I showed a counterexample, is that enough to demonstrate that it is a false statement?
Yes, any counterexample will do, as it shows the claimed statement to be false. A true statement cannot, ever, have any counterexamples!

Ray Vickson said:
Yes, any counterexample will do, as it shows the claimed statement to be false. A true statement cannot, ever, have any counterexamples!

Okay thank you very much, I understand now.

1. How do you determine if a statement is true?

To determine if a statement is true, you must gather evidence and evaluate it using critical thinking skills. This can include conducting experiments, researching reliable sources, and analyzing data.

2. What is the scientific method for determining truth?

The scientific method involves making observations, asking questions, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. This process allows for systematic and objective evaluation of statements.

3. Can a statement be considered true without evidence?

No, a statement cannot be considered true without evidence. Evidence provides support for a statement and allows for a more accurate evaluation of its truthfulness.

4. How can bias affect the determination of truth?

Bias can affect the determination of truth by influencing the interpretation and analysis of evidence. It can also lead to cherry-picking evidence that supports a particular viewpoint and ignoring evidence that contradicts it.

5. Is there a definitive way to determine if a statement is true?

There is no definitive way to determine if a statement is true, as it depends on the quality and reliability of the evidence available. However, using the scientific method and critical thinking skills can help in making a more accurate determination of truth.