Checker Board-interesting problem

• Thread starter Gamma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a classic problem from mathworld.com where 1 penny is placed on the first box, 2 pennies on the second box, and so on until the whole checkerboard is filled. The question is how much total money is needed to fill all 64 boxes. The answer is 2^64 - 1, which is approximately 1.84 X 10^5 trillion dollars. The conversation also mentions filling only 32 squares, which would require approximately 42.9 million dollars. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the correct formula for summing the first n powers of 2 and a confirmation that the answers seem reasonable.
Gamma
I found this problem on mathworld.com. It is a classic problem so I am hoping some body here must have seen it before.

Consider a checkerboard with 64 squares. If you put 1 penny on the first box, 2 pannies on the second box, 4 pennies on the third one and continue to do this until you fill the whole checker board.

How much total money you need to fill all 64 boxes? I find it to be 1.84 X 10^5 trillion dollars!

How much total money is needed to fill only 32 squares? my answer: 42.9 million

I just want to know if these numbers seems reasonable.

Thanks,

Gamma.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the sum of the first n powers of 2 is:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} 2^k = \frac{2^{n+1}-1}{2-1} =2^{n+1}-1[/tex]

So you're looking at about 265 cents for the first and 233 for the second, so using 210 [itex]\approx[/itex] 103, this will come out to about 1020 and 1010 cents respectively. Your answers seem close to this.

Thank you for answering.

I am getting (2^64 -1) and (2^32 - 1)

not (2^65 -1) and (2^33 - 1) (Are sure about this?)

Just a difference of one in the power makes a big difference in the out come.

Sorry, you're right. I was thinking the first n powers was up to 2^n, but it's actually 2^(n-1).

Thank You, I just want to know only if I am in the right direction.

Gamma

1. What is the Checker Board-interesting problem?

The Checker Board-interesting problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves placing 8 queens on a standard 8x8 chessboard in such a way that no queen can attack another queen. This means no two queens can be in the same row, column, or diagonal.

2. How many solutions are there to the Checker Board-interesting problem?

There are a total of 92 unique solutions to the Checker Board-interesting problem. This includes both rotational and reflectional symmetry solutions.

3. What is the significance of the Checker Board-interesting problem?

The Checker Board-interesting problem has been used as a basis for many other interesting mathematical puzzles and has practical applications in computer science, artificial intelligence, and game theory.

4. Can the Checker Board-interesting problem be solved on larger chessboards?

Yes, the Checker Board-interesting problem can be solved on larger chessboards, but the number of solutions increases exponentially as the board size increases.

5. Is there a general solution to the Checker Board-interesting problem?

While there is no general solution to the Checker Board-interesting problem, there are efficient algorithms that can be used to find solutions for larger chessboards. However, for the standard 8x8 chessboard, finding all 92 solutions manually is possible with some practice and patience.