1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checker Board-interesting problem

1. Jan 26, 2006 #1
    I found this problem on mathworld.com. It is a classic problem so I am hoping some body here must have seen it before.

Consider a checkerboard with 64 squares. If you put 1 penny on the first box, 2 pannies on the second box, 4 pennies on the third one and continue to do this until you fill the whole checker board.

How much total money you need to fill all 64 boxes? I find it to be 1.84 X 10^5 trillion dollars!

How much total money is needed to fill only 32 squares? my answer: 42.9 million

I just want to know if these numbers seems reasonable.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Well, the sum of the first n powers of 2 is:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} 2^k = \frac{2^{n+1}-1}{2-1} =2^{n+1}-1[/tex]

So you're looking at about 265 cents for the first and 233 for the second, so using 210 [itex]\approx[/itex] 103, this will come out to about 1020 and 1010 cents respectively. Your answers seem close to this.
  4. Jan 26, 2006 #3
    Thank you for answering.

I am getting (2^64 -1) and (2^32 - 1)

not (2^65 -1) and (2^33 - 1) (Are sure about this?)

Just a difference of one in the power makes a big difference in the out come.
  5. Jan 26, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Sorry, you're right. I was thinking the first n powers was up to 2^n, but it's actually 2^(n-1).
  6. Jan 26, 2006 #5
    Thank You, I just want to know only if I am in the right direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?