1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constrained Minimization Problem(HELP )

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A closed rectangular box is made with two kinds of materials. The top and bottom are made with heavy-duty cardboard costing $0.36 per square foot, and the sides are made with lightweight cardboard costing $0.06 per square foot. Given that the box is to have a capacity of 162 cubic feet, what should its dimensions be if the cost is to be minimized?

2. Relevant equations
    Surface Area A=2xy+2xz+2yz
    Volume= V=xyz=162

partial derivitations are required to do this(which i know how to do)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The hard part that I am trying to figure out is creating the Cost equation. All I need to know is what that equation would be and I can take care of everything afterwards. Like mentioned before in (2), the surface area A=2xy+2xz+2yz, but I have no idea how im going to create a cost function including the prices mentioned in the problem. PLEASE HELP. BLESS ANYONE WHO DOES. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi MathNoob123! :wink:

Multiply the area of heavy-duty cardboard by the cost per area, and multiply the area of lightweigh cardboard by the cost per area, and add :smile:

4. Mar 14, 2009 #3

I have already solved the problem, but thank you very much for replying. Really appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook