1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking method for calculating free charge from Electric field in LIH

1. May 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm asked to find the free charge per unit length on a cylinder which is surrounded by a LIH dielectric material. I have an expression for the electrostatic potential $$V(r)$$ in cylindrical coordinates.

2. Relevant equations
    $$\mathbf{D}=\varepsilon \varepsilon_0 \mathbf{E}$$
    Gauss's Law in media equating flux of displacement field across a surface to the free charge.
    $$\mathbf{E}=-grad V$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've calculated E using the last equation there, then used it (and the LIH assumption) to calculate D, and now I can equate:
    $$D_r \times 2 \pi r L = Q_f$$
    Where L is the length of the cylinder and Q_f is the free charge.
    This is enough to give me the expression for free charge per unit length. My problem is: am I right in taking the value of E at the cylinder surface?
    I know that the potential is zero on this surface, so that seems to throw my working out a little.
    Any advice appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2
    Why do you think the potential should be zero on the surface?

4. May 12, 2012 #3
    I know that the potential is zero at the surface because I have the expression for V(r) and it works out as zero on the surface.

I've just realised, though, that I could choose an arbitrary Gaussian surface in the dielectric and use that to calculate the free charge per unit length.

Would that work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook