Checking that a parametric curve is general helix

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying that the tangent lines of a curve make a constant angle with a given line using the dot product definition. However, the parameter t does not seem to cancel out, leading to a non-constant angle. It is suggested that this may be due to a typo in the textbook.
demonelite123
i have the curve a(t) = (3t, 2t2, 2t3) and that a'(t) = (3, 4t, 6t2). my textbook tells me to verify that the tangent lines make a constant angle with the line y = 0, z = x so basically the vector (1, 0, 1).

using the definition of the dot product [itex] a * b = |a| |b| cos(\theta) [/itex] i have [itex] cos(\theta) = \frac{3 + 6t^2}{\sqrt{2}\sqrt{9 + 16t^2 + 36t^4}} [/itex]

however it doesn't look to me that this is will give a constant angle. the parameter t doesn't seem to cancel out so it wouldn't be constant in this case. have i missed something?

Physics news on Phys.org
demonelite123 said:
i have the curve a(t) = (3t, 2t2, 2t3) and that a'(t) = (3, 4t, 6t2). my textbook tells me to verify that the tangent lines make a constant angle with the line y = 0, z = x so basically the vector (1, 0, 1).

using the definition of the dot product [itex] a * b = |a| |b| cos(\theta) [/itex] i have [itex] cos(\theta) = \frac{3 + 6t^2}{\sqrt{2}\sqrt{9 + 16t^2 + 36t^4}} [/itex]

however it doesn't look to me that this is will give a constant angle. the parameter t doesn't seem to cancel out so it wouldn't be constant in this case. have i missed something?

Are you sure it is (3t,2t^2,2t^3) and not (3t,3t^2,2t^3)? Because it would work if it was.

i noticed that too. I'm guessing its just a typo in the book since changing it to a 3 makes it work out perfectly. thanks for your reply!

1. What is a general helix curve?

A general helix curve is a type of parametric curve that follows a path that is both circular and linear. It can be described by the equation r(t) = (a*cos(t), a*sin(t), bt), where a and b are constants that determine the size and shape of the curve.

2. How do you check if a parametric curve is a general helix?

To check if a parametric curve is a general helix, you can use the following criteria:

1. The curve must be described by the equation r(t) = (a*cos(t), a*sin(t), bt).
  2. The constants a and b must be non-zero and have different values.
  3. The curve must have a circular path in the xy-plane and a linear path in the z-direction.

3. Can a general helix curve have multiple rotations?

Yes, a general helix curve can have multiple rotations. This means that the curve can wrap around itself more than once as it follows its path. The number of rotations is determined by the value of the constant b in the equation r(t) = (a*cos(t), a*sin(t), bt).

4. How does the value of the constant b affect the general helix curve?

The constant b determines the steepness of the linear path in the z-direction. A larger value of b will result in a steeper linear path, while a smaller value of b will result in a flatter linear path. This will affect the overall shape and appearance of the general helix curve.

5. Are all helix curves considered general helix curves?

No, not all helix curves are considered general helix curves. A general helix curve must meet the specific criteria mentioned in question 2. Other types of helix curves, such as logarithmic spirals or involute spirals, do not meet these criteria and therefore are not considered general helix curves.