Finding the Tangent Line to a Parametric Curve at t=\frac{\pi}{4}

In summary, the speaker is having trouble finding the tangent line to a parametric curve at t=π/4. They thought they solved the equation, but their answer was not registered as correct. They provide a screenshot of their work and ask for assistance. Another person responds, providing the slope of the line, the point on the curve, and the equation for the line. The speaker thanks them and mentions that the software may have a specific format for the answer. They plan to speak to the professor for clarification.
TheFallen018
Hey guys, I've got this problem I can't seem to get past. I need to find the tangent line to a parametric curve at t=\frac{\pi}{4}

I thought I solved the equation, but my answer doesn't seem to be registered as correct. I'm guessing that means I stuffed up the equation, but I can't see where. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful. Here's a screenshot of my problem.

View attachment 8091

Here's the answer I came up with

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{3\sqrt{\pi}}{40}x+(\frac{\pi}{4})^\frac{3}{2}\)

(My latex code doesn't seem to be working either. Is there a way I should be initialising it?)

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_8.jpg
    Screenshot_8.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 73
Physics news on Phys.org
The slope of the line can be found from:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dt}\cdot\frac{dt}{dx}=\frac{\dfrac{3}{2}\sqrt{t}}{-10\sin(2t)}=-\frac{3\sqrt{t}}{20\sin(2t)}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \left.\frac{dy}{dx}\right|_{t=\frac{\pi}{4}}=-\frac{3\sqrt{\dfrac{\pi}{4}}}{20}=-\frac{3\sqrt{\pi}}{40}\)

The point on the curve is:

\(\displaystyle (x,y)=\left(5\cos\left(2\cdot\frac{\pi}{4}\right),\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)^{\Large\frac{3}{2}}\right)=\left(0,\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)^{\Large\frac{3}{2}}\right)\)

Thus, the line is given by:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{3\sqrt{\pi}}{40}x+\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)^{\Large\frac{3}{2}}\quad\checkmark\)

Your work looks correct to me.

edit: perhaps the software wants the form:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{3\sqrt{\pi}}{40}x+\frac{\pi\sqrt{\pi}}{8}\)

[DESMOS]advanced: {"version":5,"graph":{"viewport":{"xmin":-5.219804697224658,"ymin":-0.4416683969175965,"xmax":13.115553015424458,"ymax":5.919253619612934}},"expressions":{"list":[{"id":"graph1","type":"expression","latex":"\\left(5\\cos\\left(2t\\right),t^{\\frac{3}{2}}\\right)","domain":{"min":"0","max":"\\pi"},"color":"#2d70b3"},{"id":"3","type":"expression","latex":"\\left(0,\\left(\\frac{\\pi}{4}\\right)^{\\frac{3}{2}}\\right)","showLabel":true,"label":"Tangent Point","color":"#fa7e19","style":"POINT"},{"id":"4","type":"expression","latex":"y=-\\frac{3\\sqrt{\\pi}}{40}x+\\frac{\\pi\\sqrt{\\pi}}{8}","color":"#388c46"},{"id":"5","type":"expression","color":"#000000"}]}}[/DESMOS]

MarkFL said:
The slope of the line can be found from:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dt}\cdot\frac{dt}{dx}=\frac{\dfrac{3}{2}\sqrt{t}}{-10\sin(2t)}=-\frac{3\sqrt{t}}{20\sin(2t)}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \left.\frac{dy}{dx}\right|_{t=\frac{\pi}{4}}=-\frac{3\sqrt{\dfrac{\pi}{4}}}{20}=-\frac{3\sqrt{\pi}}{40}\)

The point on the curve is:

\(\displaystyle (x,y)=\left(5\cos\left(2\cdot\frac{\pi}{4}\right),\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)^{\Large\frac{3}{2}}\right)=\left(0,\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)^{\Large\frac{3}{2}}\right)\)

Thus, the line is given by:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{3\sqrt{\pi}}{40}x+\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)^{\Large\frac{3}{2}}\quad\checkmark\)

Your work looks correct to me.

edit: perhaps the software wants the form:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{3\sqrt{\pi}}{40}x+\frac{\pi\sqrt{\pi}}{8}\)
Thank mark, I really appreciate the help. Turns out the software didn't want that form either, but that's ok. As long as I know that I've done all I can, I'm happy.

TheFallen018 said:
Thank mark, I really appreciate the help. Turns out the software didn't want that form either, but that's ok. As long as I know that I've done all I can, I'm happy.

I would speak to the professor to see what's up with that question. :)

What is a tangent to a parametric curve?

A tangent to a parametric curve is a line that touches the curve at a single point and has the same direction as the curve at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

How do you find the equation of a tangent to a parametric curve?

To find the equation of a tangent to a parametric curve, you can use the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent at the given point and b is the y-intercept. To find the slope, you can use the derivative of the parametric equations with respect to the parameter.

What is the significance of the tangent to a parametric curve?

The tangent to a parametric curve can provide important information about the behavior of the curve at a specific point. It can be used to find the slope of the curve, analyze its rate of change, and determine the direction of the curve at that point.

How does a tangent to a parametric curve relate to the derivative?

A tangent to a parametric curve is essentially the same as the derivative of the curve with respect to the parameter. It represents the rate of change of the curve at a specific point and can be used to find the slope of the curve at that point.

Can a parametric curve have more than one tangent at a given point?

Yes, a parametric curve can have more than one tangent at a given point. This occurs when the curve has a sharp turn or cusp at that point, and the curve has different directions on either side of the point. In this case, both tangents represent the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.