1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical engineers working for space agencies?

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    Hello. I am trying to choose between studying chemical engineering (MSc) or getting a master's degree as an engineer specializing in math&physics (yes, you can do that in my country).

For this I have questions:

1)Are chemical engineers needed in Space agencies? Perhaps working on spacecraft propulsion?
    2) Am I being realistic if I hope to get a job in the ESA if I choose to study math&physics?

Honestly, I think I'd prefer studying chemical engineering, but I really like physics as well. If there is no realistic chance for me to get a job in a space agency as a chemical engineer, then this will probably tip the scale over to math&physics, for me.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    Chemical engineers can work in the aerospace sector although they don't primarily work on propulsion (aerospace engineers and mechanical engineers work primarily in the design of a rocket). Chemical engineers will mostly work on the material components of the space crafts but can certainly fill positions in navigation, materials design, and propulsion. It's a versatile degree that can let you work in a lot of places. Your best bet at propulsion engineering would be an aerospace or mechanical engineering degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook