Chemical Equilibrium and Probability

So the equilibrium amounts would be:H2O: 9/25 * 5 = 1.8 molD2O: 4/25 * 5 = 0.8 molDHO: 12/25 * 5 = 2.4 molIn summary, the equilibrium amounts for H2O, D2O, and DHO would be 1.8 mol, 0.8 mol, and 2.4 mol respectively when starting with 2.0 mol of H2O, 1.0 mol of D2O, and 2.0 mol of DHO.
flybynight
I am looking at this equilibrium:
H2O + D2O <-> 2DHO
(D = Deuterium)
I have 2.0 mol of H2O, 1.0 mol of D2O and 2.0 mol of DHO.
What are the equilibrium amounts of each of the molecules?

What I tried:
6 mol of H, 4 mol of D
H2O: P(X=H) & P(Y=H) = 9/25
D2O: P(X=D) & P(Y=D) = 4/25
HDO: P(X=D) & P(Y=H) + P(X=H) & P(Y=D) = 12/25

Moles of H2O: 9/25 * 10 = 3.6 mol
Moles of D2O: 4/25 * 10 = 1.6 mol
Moles of DHO: 12/25 * 10 = 4.8 mol

However, that makes 12 mol H and 8 mol D. I know I probably should have divided somewhere, but I don't know where.

Thanks,
Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
flybynight said:
Moles of H2O: 9/25 * 10 = 3.6 mol
Moles of D2O: 4/25 * 10 = 1.6 mol
Moles of DHO: 12/25 * 10 = 4.8 mol

It should be prob * 5 moles, since you started with 2 mol H2O + 1 mol D2O + 2 mol DHO = 5 moles.

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in which the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. In other words, the concentrations of the reactants and products remain constant over time.

2. How is equilibrium affected by changes in concentration, temperature, and pressure?

Changes in concentration, temperature, and pressure can shift the equilibrium of a reaction. Increasing the concentration of reactants will favor the forward reaction, while increasing the concentration of products will favor the reverse reaction. An increase in temperature will favor the endothermic reaction, and an increase in pressure will favor the reaction that produces fewer moles of gas.

3. What is Le Chatelier's principle?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system in equilibrium is subjected to a stress, it will adjust in a way that minimizes the effect of the stress. For example, if the concentration of reactants is increased, the equilibrium will shift to the right to consume some of the reactants.

4. How do you calculate equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant, K, is calculated by taking the concentrations of the products and dividing it by the concentrations of the reactants, each raised to the power of their respective coefficients in the balanced chemical equation. The value of K tells us the relative amounts of products and reactants at equilibrium.

5. What is the relationship between chemical equilibrium and probability?

In chemical equilibrium, the concentrations of products and reactants are constant, but there is still a chance that a reaction will occur in either direction. This is where probability comes into play. The probability of a reaction occurring in the forward or reverse direction is determined by the concentrations of the reactants and products, as well as the activation energy of the reaction. In other words, the equilibrium constant can be thought of as a measure of the probability of a reaction occurring in a particular direction.