1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Equilibrium of Reaction's constant?

1. Feb 13, 2014 #1
    I'm currently studying for a test and I'm having problem with this concept:

If I have 3 different Equilibrium constants for different reactions like Kc=103, Kc=1 and KC=10-4, which one's forward reaction is most favorable, and which one's reverse reaction is most favorable?

Maybe it's the way the question is stated but I have a good understanding of most of the things in this chapter, this one doesn't make sense at all. Can anyone please help? Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2014 #2
    The equilibrium constant is the ratio of the kinetic rate constant for the forward reaction to the kinetic rate constant for the reverse reaction.

4. Feb 13, 2014 #3
    Thank you for replying. I understand that part, but what I'm having a hard time with is how to determine from different constants which movement(forward or backward) will be favorable(or not so).

5. Feb 13, 2014 #4
    If K is high, then the forward reaction is favored over the reverse reaction. If K is low, then the reverse reaction is favored over the forward reaction.

6. Feb 13, 2014 #5
    But why is this so- perhaps algebraically? My teacher told me something like this but I couldn't make out the reasoning behind it. Thank you.

7. Feb 14, 2014 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Write the equilibrium constant for the reaction

A -> B

If it is higher than 1 - which substance is in the excess? Where does the equilibrium lie, on the left, or on the right?

And if it is lower than 1?

8. Feb 14, 2014 #7
    For the reaction that Borek wrote, the kinetic expression at equilibrium is:

kf[A]-kr=0

Now solve algebraically for the equilibrium constant /[A]. This should be in your textbook.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted