1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Kintetics - Sequential reactions

1. Jul 6, 2013 #1
    Chemical Kinetics - Sequential reactions

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a reaction ##A \rightarrow B \rightarrow C##, ##t_{1/2}## for A and B are 4 and 2 minutes respectively. How much time would be required for the B to reach maximum concentration.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't form the differential rate equations until I know the order of the reaction or am I missing something?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

It's implied that the half-lives are constant. First-order reactions are the only ones with half-lives that remain constant as the reaction progresses (or, equivalently, have half-lives that are independent of the reactant concentration).

Once you know it's first order, it should be easy to set up the d.e.s. If you need more help you can search under my username for "sequential decay", where I helped someone else solve a sequential radioactive decay problem years ago. Same principle.

4. Jul 6, 2013 #3
    Thanks, missed it. :)

Setting up the D.Es
    [tex]-\frac{dA}{dt}=k_1A[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dB}{dt}=k_1A-k_2B[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dC}{dt}=k_2B[/tex]

At maximum concentration of B, ##dB/dt=0##, that gives ##k_1/k_2=B/A##. I don't see how to proceed from here.

5. Jul 6, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

That's why this simple approach is a nonstarter. Did you take my suggestion and look up my earlier post? Search for "sequential decay" under my username.

6. Jul 6, 2013 #5
    [tex]A=A_0e^{-k_1t}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dB}{dt}+k_2B=k_1A_0e^{-k_1t}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d(e^{k_2t}B)}{dt}=k_1A_0e^{(k_2-k_1)t}[/tex]
    [tex]e^{k_2t}B=\frac{k_1A_0}{(k_2-k_1)}(e^{(k_2-k_1)t}-1)[/tex]
    [tex]B=\frac{k_1A_0}{(k_2-k_1)}(e^{-k_1t}-e^{-k_2t})[/tex]
    B is maximum when [tex]e^{(k_2-k_1)t}=\frac{k_2}{k_1}[/tex]
    or when
    [tex]t=\frac{\ln{k_2}-\ln{k_1}}{k_2-k_1}[/tex]

7. Jul 7, 2013 #6
    Thanks Curious. I found out the concentration of A as a function of time and then formed a linear differential equation to find the concentration of B. :smile:

Thank you Chet! That helped me to check my working. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted