Chemicals With Chlorinated Solvents

• Thread starter Josh111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemicals
In summary, the conversation discusses the danger of welding on materials with chlorinated solvents, specifically in metal working applications. The individual is looking for a list of common products that contain these solvents, but has only found lists of chemical compounds. Some examples of degreasing solvents containing chlorinated solvents include methylene chloride, chloroform, carbon tetrachloride, and various chlorinated versions of ethylene. Specific products such as CRC Brakleen and CRC Heavy Duty Degreaser also contain chlorinated solvents.
Josh111
I am taking the OSHA 30 course as a requirement of a job and came across some information regarding the danger of welding on materials that have had chlorinated solvents applied. Being someone who manages industrial construction projects, but often doesn't supervise welding operations, I am not familiar with a chemical product commonly in use for metal working applications that would have chlorine in it.

Is there a list available of common products that contain chlorinated solvents? So far, I am only seeing lists of chemical compounds, not off the shelf brand names that would be used for welding applications.

(Yes, I know bleach contains chlorine, I am looking for something that is likely to be used in metal working applications).

Physics news on Phys.org
Degreasing solvents containing methylene chloride or chloroform or carbon tetrachloride or the various chlorinated versions of ethylene are what is being discussed.

CRC Brakleen contains tri and tetrachloroethylene. It is also sold as CRC Heavy Duty Degreaser.

Last edited:

1. What are chlorinated solvents?

Chlorinated solvents are a type of chemical compound that contain one or more chlorine atoms. They are commonly used as industrial solvents due to their ability to dissolve a wide variety of substances.

2. What are some examples of chemicals with chlorinated solvents?

Some common examples of chemicals with chlorinated solvents include perchloroethylene, trichloroethylene, and methylene chloride. These compounds are often used in dry cleaning, metal degreasing, and paint stripping.

3. Are chlorinated solvents harmful to human health?

Yes, chlorinated solvents can be harmful to human health if not used properly. They have been linked to various health issues such as liver and kidney damage, respiratory problems, and even cancer. It is important to follow safety precautions when handling these chemicals.

4. How do chlorinated solvents impact the environment?

Chlorinated solvents can have a negative impact on the environment if they are not properly disposed of. They can contaminate soil and water, and can also contribute to air pollution. It is important to dispose of these chemicals responsibly and follow proper disposal guidelines.

5. Are there any alternatives to using chemicals with chlorinated solvents?

Yes, there are alternative solvents that can be used instead of chlorinated solvents. These include water-based solvents, bio-based solvents, and safer chemicals such as limonene and propylene carbonate. It is important to consider these alternatives to reduce potential harm to human health and the environment.