What is the concentration of available chlorine in the household bleach?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, students analyzed a brand of household bleach and found that it contained 4% (w/v) available chlorine. Through a titration, they determined that the concentration of available chlorine was actually 3.957% (w/w) as NaOCl.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

Some brands of household bleach contain sodium hypochlorite, NaOCl as the active ingredient. The concentration of NaOCl in the preparation is recorded as the concentration of ‘available chlorine’. One brand of this bleach stated on the label that it contained ‘4%(w/v) available chlorine’. In an analysis of this bleach, each pair of students in a class measured out 20.00ml from a new, unopened bottle of the bleach. They then made this up to 250.00ml in a standard flask with distilled water, and removed 20.00ml aliquots for a series of repeat titrations. To each aliquot they added 5ml of 1M sulfuric acid and 5ml of 1M potassium iodide. The equation for the reaction that occurs is:

OCl-(aq) + 2I-(aq) + 2H+(aq) -> I2(aq) + Cl-(aq) + H2O(l)

Each sample immediately turned brown due to the production of iodine. The students then titrated this against a previously standardised potassium thiosulfate which was 0.09877M. The mean titre was 17.22ml.

What is the concentration of the available chlorine in the original mixture?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The reaction of the titration is
I2 + (2S2O3)2- -> 2I- + (S4O6)2-

So number of moles of potassium thiosulfate is 0.0017. So there is 0.00085 moles of I2 in the product formed of the reaction

OCl-(aq) + 2I-(aq) + 2H+(aq) -> I2(aq) + Cl-(aq) + H2O(l)

Hence 0.00085 moles of OCl- molecules were formed. 0.00085mole * 35.45g/mole (for chlorine) = 0.03g in the 20ml aliquot. There are 25/2 number of these in the 250ml flask. So 0.3768g in the 250ml flask. This came from 20ml from the bottle so 0.3768g/20ml = 0.019g/ml or 1.9g/100ml of available chlorine hence not even 2%(w/v). But the answer claimed 3.957%(w/w). Who is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cl or NaOCl?

I took the question as asking the available chlorine ions so Cl. I think some of the compounds are in aqeous solution so are in ion forms like OCl-(aq) although I could be easily wrong here.

I had another look at the question and realized ‘available chlorine’ was not Cl but NaOCl. Assuming this, I redid the question again and got 3.95g/100g which is exactly what the answers suggeted. Thanks for pointing out this.

1. What is back titration with iodine?

Back titration with iodine is a method used in analytical chemistry to determine the amount of an unknown substance in a sample. It involves adding an excess of iodine to the sample, then titrating the remaining iodine with a known concentration of a second substance (known as the titrant) to determine the original amount of the unknown substance present.

2. Why is back titration with iodine used?

Back titration with iodine is often used when the substance being tested cannot be directly titrated with the titrant. This may be due to the substance reacting too slowly, not reacting at all, or reacting with other substances in the sample. Back titration allows for a more accurate determination of the unknown substance by eliminating these interfering factors.

3. What is the process for performing a back titration with iodine?

The first step is to add an excess of iodine to the sample, which will react with the unknown substance. The remaining iodine is then titrated with the titrant until the endpoint is reached. The amount of titrant used can then be used to calculate the amount of unknown substance present in the sample.

4. What are the advantages of using back titration with iodine?

One advantage of back titration with iodine is that it can be used for substances that do not easily react with the titrant, providing a more accurate result. It also allows for the determination of substances that cannot be directly titrated, and can be used for substances that are present in small amounts.

5. Are there any limitations to back titration with iodine?

While back titration with iodine can be a useful method, it does have some limitations. It can be time-consuming and requires multiple steps, so it may not be suitable for time-sensitive experiments. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by impurities in the sample or errors in the titration process.