1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemist Needs Assistance with Flowmeters for Mixers

  1. May 22, 2017 #1
    I work in R&D for coatings and have a bit of a plumbing problem on my pilot coater. I've formulated a very reactive mix that, once mixed, increases in viscosity by 3000cP an hour. This makes it very difficult to get a constant roll of sample material to send to customers with the equipment that I have available.

    SO, I want to get a 1/2"x11" static mixer and use two feed streams to resolve this issue. My question should be simple to a trained professional. If I have one air line feeding a pressure pot 10psi and another feeding a second pressure pot 20psi, would you expect that converging these lines into a static mixer would create significant backflow at a final flow rate around 0.01gpm venting to atmosphere? Both mixes differ in viscosity by 5000cP. Alternatively, is there a valve that prevents backflow of both air and liquid to give me peace of mind that the proportions are being fed correctly?

    I sadly don't have $1000 for a couple of flowmeters...Here's a handy dandy picture.

  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2017 #2
    Found an old positive displacement pump to replace the air lines and problem solved..
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted