Chemist Needs Assistance with Flowmeters for Mixers

In summary, the speaker works in R&D for coatings and is facing a plumbing issue with their pilot coater. They have formulated a reactive mix that increases in viscosity by 3000cP an hour, making it difficult to get a constant roll of sample material to send to customers. They plan on using a 1/2"x11" static mixer with two feed streams of different pressures (10psi and 20psi) to resolve the issue, but are concerned about backflow. They wonder if converging the lines into a static mixer would create significant backflow at a final flow rate of 0.01gpm venting to atmosphere. They also ask if there is a valve that can prevent backflow of both air and
dtwright03
I work in R&D for coatings and have a bit of a plumbing problem on my pilot coater. I've formulated a very reactive mix that, once mixed, increases in viscosity by 3000cP an hour. This makes it very difficult to get a constant roll of sample material to send to customers with the equipment that I have available.

SO, I want to get a 1/2"x11" static mixer and use two feed streams to resolve this issue. My question should be simple to a trained professional. If I have one air line feeding a pressure pot 10psi and another feeding a second pressure pot 20psi, would you expect that converging these lines into a static mixer would create significant backflow at a final flow rate around 0.01gpm venting to atmosphere? Both mixes differ in viscosity by 5000cP. Alternatively, is there a valve that prevents backflow of both air and liquid to give me peace of mind that the proportions are being fed correctly?

I sadly don't have $1000 for a couple of flowmeters...Here's a handy dandy picture.

upload_2017-5-22_16-56-24.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Found an old positive displacement pump to replace the air lines and problem solved..

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of flowmeters in mixers?

The purpose of flowmeters in mixers is to accurately measure and control the flow rate of liquids or gases within the mixer. This helps to ensure consistent mixing and prevents over or under mixing of substances.

2. How do flowmeters work in mixers?

Flowmeters in mixers work by measuring the velocity, volume or mass of a fluid that is passing through the mixer. This information is then converted into a readable output, such as flow rate, which allows the operator to adjust the mixer accordingly.

3. What types of flowmeters are commonly used in mixers?

There are several types of flowmeters that may be used in mixers, including electromagnetic, ultrasonic, and turbine flowmeters. The type used will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the mixer.

4. What are some common challenges with flowmeters in mixers?

Some common challenges with flowmeters in mixers include accuracy and calibration issues, as well as potential clogging or buildup of materials within the flowmeters. It is important to regularly maintain and calibrate flowmeters to ensure accurate readings.

5. How can I troubleshoot flowmeter issues in my mixer?

If you are experiencing issues with your flowmeters in the mixer, some potential troubleshooting steps include checking for any clogs or buildup, recalibrating the flowmeters, and ensuring proper installation and connections. If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be necessary to consult a professional or the manufacturer for further assistance.