1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry: Activation Energy (Arrhenius equation)

1. Feb 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A certain reaction, with an activation energe of 64.5 kJ/mole, is run at 25.0'C (degree Celsius) and its rate is measured. How many times faster would this reaction be if it were run at 50.0'C (degree Celsius)?

2. Relevant equations

I think: (Arrhenius equation)
    ln(k1/k2) = Ea/R (1/T2 - 1/T1)

R = 8.314 J/mole*K

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to start. Only Ea = 64.5 kJ/mole, 1 temperature = 25.0'C and R (8.314 J/mole*K) are given. I don't know where to get the other numbers to plug in the equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2007 #2
    remember, you also have a T2 (50degC). You don't necessarily need to solve for the individual k values, just figure out a relationship between them.

4. Feb 11, 2007 #3
    i just did this problem on my homework

we have ln( k2/k1 ) = (Ea/R) * (1/T1 - 1/T2)

where k is the reaction constant, Ea is activation energy, R is gas constant, T is temperature

what are we solving for? well we want to see how k changes. we rearrange the equation:

[antilog of both sides]
    k2/k1 = antilog[ (Ea/R) * (1/T1 - 1/T2) ]
    [multiple by k1 on each side]
    k2 = k1 * antilog[ (Ea/R) * (1/T1 - 1/T2) ]
    [antilog(x) just means e^(x)]
    k2 = k1 * e^[ (Ea/R) * (1/T1 - 1/T2) ]

here we go! we wanted to see how k changes right? the new k (k2) value equals the old k (k1) value times e^[ (Ea/R) * (1/T1 - 1/T2) ]

the reason it was tricky is because we weren't solving for a variable, we just wanted to see how k would change when the temperature changed

so the answer is: when the temperature is 50C, it is ((( e^[ (Ea/R) * (1/T1 - 1/T2) ] ))) times faster than when it is at 25C

just plug and chug:

Ea = 64.5kj/mol = 64500 j/mol
    T1 = 25*C = 298K
    T2 = 50*C = 323K
    R = 8.314 J/mole*K

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?