Chemistry - Change of freezing point

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
ChemistryJack
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The enthalpy of fusion of mercury is 2.292kJ/mol and its normal freezing point s 234.3K with a change in molar volume of +0.517cm^3 /mol on melting. At what temperature will the bottom of a column of mercury (density 13.6 g/cm^3) of height 10.0m be expected to freeze.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I'm really not sure how to go about this. I though I could work out the Potential energy, using P = mgh. Then maybe take this off the enthalpy of fusion. I don't want the answer, but some though-provoking advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Phase transition, pressure, temperature, volume change and enthalpy - that cries for a specific equation (relation). It is most often used for boiling points, but it works for every transition.