Determining boiling point from vapour pressure

In summary, the freezing point of benzene at 1000 atm can be estimated by using the equation p=p*+ΔHfus/ΔV ln(T/T*). By taking the difference of the densities of benzene at normal conditions and 1000 atm, and converting to molar volume, the freezing point can be determined. The assumption of 1 atm for the initial freezing point may lead to some error in the calculation.
lee403

Homework Statement

When benzene freezes at 5.5 C its density changes from 0.879 g cm-3 to 0.891 g cm-3. Its enthalpy of fusion is 10.59 kJ mol -1. Estimate freezing point of benzene at 1000 atm

Homework Equations

Solid liquid boundary: p=p*+ΔHfus/ΔV ln(T/T*)

The Attempt at a Solution

From the equation I can solve for T which I do not have a problem with. For ΔV fus I thought to take the the difference of the densities and then using the molar mass of benzene, 78.1 g/mol, get ΔVm in cm-3.This is then converted to m-3. I made the assumption that the first part is occurring under normal conditions, so 1 atm for the freezing point at 5.5 C given in the problem. I think assuming 1 atm is my biggest mistake when solving this problem because I think that everything else is just plugging in the values.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 5.5 C probably refer to atmospheric pressure, but it doesn't change much to assume other low pressures.

ΔV in cm-3 doesn't have correct units. You need volume per mole to make the units match.

What is the boiling point of a substance?

The boiling point of a substance is the temperature at which its vapor pressure is equal to the atmospheric pressure. This is when the liquid turns into a gas and begins to evaporate.

Why is determining boiling point from vapor pressure important?

Determining boiling point from vapor pressure is important because it helps identify and classify substances, and is also used in various industrial processes such as distillation, evaporation, and purification.

How is vapor pressure measured?

Vapor pressure is measured by placing a sample of the substance in a sealed container and measuring the pressure of the vapor that forms above it. This is usually done using a device called a vapor pressure thermometer.

What factors can affect the boiling point of a substance?

The boiling point of a substance can be affected by factors such as atmospheric pressure, the strength of intermolecular forces, and the presence of impurities in the substance.

Can the boiling point of a substance be changed?

Yes, the boiling point of a substance can be changed by altering the external pressure or by adding impurities to the substance. This is known as boiling point elevation or depression, respectively.