Chemistry: Converting density to molar mass given other values.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the molar mass of a gaseous compound using the ideal gas law and the formula for molar volume. The final answer is determined to be approximately 153.39 g/mol.
LakeMountD

Homework Statement

The density of a gaseous compound was found to be 1.23 kg/m^3 at 330K and 20,000 Pa. What is the molar mass of this compound.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think this is right but I assumed a volume of 1 m^3. So I used ideal gas law as follows:

n = (20,000Pa * 1m^3)/(8.314 (Pa*m^3/mol.K) * 330K) = 7.29 mol.

Then what I did was took density and multiplied it by the assumed volume of 1m^3 and got 1.23 kg/m^2. Then I took 1230g/m^3 and divided it by 7.290 mol. go get grams/mol*m^2. The answer was 168.72 but I can almost guarantee I am being retarded and overlooking something.

Physics news on Phys.org
you can also use this equation

d = MP/RT

let me know what you get

I take it that is the molar volume formula?

The reason why I didn't use that is because it says in my book that the formula for molar volume (above) is used under STP conditions. Did I read that wrong?

Rocophysics is right. [itex]\rho =\frac{\mu p}{RT} [/itex] for an ideal gas.

Okay so d = MP/RT where M is the molar mass (or molar volume?)?

Sorry I just want to make sure. And thanks for the help guys. Like I said I saw that formula in the book but I thought it said it only applied at STP.

I ended up getting ~ 153g/mol

that's not what i ended up getting, is this that the correct answer in the book? i'll re-do my calc.

i'm off by ~ 15

Last edited:
LakeMountD said:
I ended up getting ~ 153g/mol

I didn't get this answer either. I got the 168.72 g/mol that was given as the answer in the first post.

hage567 said:
I didn't get this answer either. I got the 168.72 g/mol that was given as the answer in the first post.
lol i didn't even notice the answer in the first post, it's correct tho. different method but valid and good.

gj!

Wait so I did it right the first time? I don't have the answer in the book, unfortunately it is an even numbered problem.

Why didn't the formula you told me work?

LakeMountD said:
Wait so I did it right the first time? I don't have the answer in the book, unfortunately it is an even numbered problem.

Why didn't the formula you told me work?

It should have. Double check your calculation.

hage567 said:
It should have. Double check your calculation.

M = d*R*T/P = 1230g/m^3 * 8.314 * 300k / 20,000 = 153.39 g/mol?

It's 330 K, not 300 K. :wink:

1. How do I convert density to molar mass in chemistry?

To convert density to molar mass, you will need to know the density of the substance in grams per milliliter (g/mL) and the molar volume, which is the volume occupied by one mole of the substance. The molar volume can be found in a reference table or calculated using Avogadro's number.

2. What is the formula for converting density to molar mass?

The formula for converting density to molar mass is molar mass = density x molar volume. Make sure to use consistent units for both density and molar volume in the calculation.

3. Can I use any units for density and molar volume in the conversion?

No, it is important to use consistent units for density and molar volume in the conversion. Common units for density are g/mL or g/cm3, while molar volume is typically measured in L/mol. It is best to convert all units to the same system before performing the calculation.

4. What if I don't know the molar volume of the substance?

If you do not know the molar volume of the substance, you can look it up in a reference table or calculate it using Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23 particles per mole). You will need to know the molecular weight of the substance in order to calculate the molar volume.

5. Can I use this conversion for any substance?

Yes, this conversion can be used for any substance as long as you have the necessary information, including the density and molar volume. However, it is important to note that some substances may have different units for density and molar volume, so it is important to double check and convert units if necessary.