Chemical equation for HCl ionization in water with phases

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
needOfHelpCMath
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Demonstrate the definition with a chemical equation for HCl.
Express your answer as a chemical equation. Identify all of the phases in your answer.
My Answer:

HCl(g)+H2O(l)→H3O+(l)+Cl−(aq)What the answer said:


There is an error in your submission. Make sure you have formatted it properly.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
needOfHelpCMath said:
Demonstrate the definition with a chemical equation for HCl.
Express your answer as a chemical equation. Identify all of the phases in your answer.

My Answer:

HCl(g)+H2O(l)→H3O+(l)+Cl−(aq)

What the answer said:


There is an error in your submission. Make sure you have formatted it properly.

That's a rather generic error. I have no idea what it means.
Are there any more details about the error?
And since I'm not familiar with this particular submission system, can you perhaps provide an example of what a similar accepted submission looks like?
 
Attachments
  • chem.png
    chem.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 148
needOfHelpCMath said:
Here is the image and how my answer look.

Shouldn't it be $H_3O^+$? (Wondering)
 
Possibly an ignorant question: How can you produce [math]HCl(g)[/math]? I can't see how you can make HCl a vapor. When you boil it don't we just get water vapor coming off? I didn't think that the vapor would contain the HCl?

-Dan
 
topsquark said:
Possibly an ignorant question: How can you produce [math]HCl(g)[/math]? I can't see how you can make HCl a vapor. When you boil it don't we just get water vapor coming off? I didn't think that the vapor would contain the HCl?

-Dan

Hey Dan,

I'm not sure what you're getting at.
According to wiki $HCl(g)$ can be produced by mixing $H_2(g)$ and $Cl_2(g)$ and treating it with UV-light.
And $H_2(g)$ and $Cl_2(g)$ can both be produced by electrolysis of salty water ($NaCl(aq) + H_2O(l)$).
If we boil hydrochloric acid, it'll presumably separate into water vapor and some combination of the gases just mentioned.