Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dissolving iron in HCl, unknown product

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    My class needed some iron (iii) chloride to determine the purity of some aspirin they synthesized, so I thought I might try making some. I left a strip of iron in concentrated HCl for a few nights under the fume hood. I was expecting a liquid with iron (ii) chloride to result, which would then gradually turn into iron (iii) chloride with time.

What I got was a light greenish snow-like solid substance accumulating in the bottom of the beaker (regrettably did not get any pictures). I filtered this off, but now I am wondering exactly what it was. Nothing went into the beaker but the 9 g Fe strip and about 100 ml of 12 M HCl.

The solution I ended up with performs like iron (iii) chloride, it will turn salicylic acid a purplish color. It is a very dark brown liquid that leaves yellowish trails on the sides of its container. I'm going to do a titration to get its exact concentration.

I should've had a bunch of excess HCl since Fe was limiting the reaction. Could I have saturated the solution with iron (ii) chloride?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

According to wiki solubility at room temp. is around 70g/100 mL, and you are below 20g/100 mL. Then, you have a huge excess of Cl-, so I wouldn't rule the precipitation out.

How pure was the iron?

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    It was a Flinn Scientific iron strip, which I believe are intended (or sold as) electrodes. I cut it up using snips. The package had been opened before, and some other pieces were showing very slight spots of rust. The one I cherry picked did not, though I did not look using magnification.

Additionally, this billowing solid was noticeable long before the strip had completely dissolved.

I will double check the packaging tomorrow morning, but I can't recall any quantitative indication of purity.

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4
    Sounds like you got ferrous chloride (tetrahydrate) at the bottom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook