Chemistry II: Determining a rate of a Solid

In summary, the conversation discusses a prelab assignment where the initial molar concentration of I- needs to be determined for a reaction. The problem is that the person is unsure of how to approach the problem and is seeking some guidance or hints. They clarify that they are not looking for the answer but rather an understanding of the problem.
Elkay
I'm working on a prelab assignment and couldn't remember exactly what to do in order to solve the following problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

a. If 4.0 ml of 0.3M of KI is mixed with 1.0 ml of deionized water, 1.0 mL of buffer solution, 1.0 mL of 0.2 M [tex]Na_{2}S_{2}O_{3}[/tex], and 3.0 mL of [tex]H_{2}O_{2}[/tex], what is the initial molar concentration of I- (at time=0, before the reaction)?

b. How many moles of [tex]I_{2}[/tex] are generated in the rection during the time lapse of the rate measurement? The following equations are given:

[tex]2 I^- _{(aq)} + H_{2}O_{2} + 2 H_{3}O^+ _{(aq)} \longrightarrow I_{2(aq)} + 4 H_{2}O_{(l)}[/tex]

[tex]2S_{2}O_{3}^2- _{(aq)} +I_{2}_{(aq)} \longrightarrow 2I^- _{(aq)} + S_{4}O_{6}^2- _{(aq)}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any idea/thoughts on the problem? You need to show your work before you get help.

*sigh*

That's the problem. I don't know where to start or what I need to use to get the problem, so I can't show work.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I want someone to solve the problem for me- if I wanted the answer, I could easily just copy the answer from a classmate instead of taking an hour to post my query. I came here hoping someone could give me an idea of what I should do or what I should focus on.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :smile:. It's just that too many posters these days, want only the solutions and don't really want to understand what the problem is about, which annoys me.

Let's take the first question. It asks for the initial concentration of I- before any reaction takes place. First of all, how do you define the molar concentration? Can you think of anyway in which you can apply the definition here?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of determining the rate of a solid in chemistry?

The purpose of determining the rate of a solid in chemistry is to understand and quantify the speed at which a chemical reaction occurs. This is important in many applications, such as industrial processes, pharmaceutical development, and environmental studies.

2. How is the rate of a solid measured in chemistry?

The rate of a solid is typically measured by monitoring the change in the amount of product formed over time. This can be done through various techniques, such as spectroscopy or titration, depending on the specific reaction being studied.

3. What factors can affect the rate of a solid in a chemical reaction?

The rate of a solid in a chemical reaction can be affected by various factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, and surface area of the solid. These factors can alter the rate at which reactant molecules collide and interact, ultimately influencing the speed of the reaction.

4. Can the rate of a solid be changed during a chemical reaction?

Yes, the rate of a solid can be changed during a chemical reaction. This can happen through the addition of a catalyst, which can increase the rate of the reaction by providing an alternative pathway with a lower activation energy. The rate can also be changed by altering the reaction conditions, such as temperature or concentration of reactants.

5. How is the rate constant determined for a solid in a chemical reaction?

The rate constant for a solid in a chemical reaction is determined by analyzing the data collected during the reaction, such as the change in product concentration over time. This data can then be used to calculate the rate constant, which represents the proportionality between the reactant concentrations and the rate of the reaction.