Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Major, want to go into Physics now

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    So I am almost done with my Chemistry Major, but I really enjoy physics!!!
    Is it possible to still go into physics, maybe Chemical Physics, Astrochemistry, or Material Science.

I don't want to start over, but can I still go into graduate school in Physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2
    I don't know where you're located, but here in the US, any of those graduate programs are (in principle) accessible to chemistry graduates. Chemical Physics graduate programs (typically interdepartmental programs between the chemistry and physics departments) accept students with backgrounds in either (or both) fields, and the astrochemists I know are basically all in chemistry departments (albeit jointly appointed in one way or another, usually). Materials science graduate programs tend to be fairly interdisciplinary as well, and will accept students with a fair amount of variation in their background.

Of course, your absolute best bet is to inquire directly to programs you're interested in and see what their criteria are for admission.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook