Physics of a chemical reaction: looking for textbook recs

In summary, an undergraduate physics major is looking for a textbook that would describe chemical reactions from a physical/physics interpretation. One textbook that might be helpful is "The Nature of the Chemical Bond" by Linus Pauling.
bt623
I'm currently doing a literature review on ultracold chemistry with an emphasis on collisional theory and quantum phenomena. I'm an undergraduate physics major, and I'd start my discussion of this topic by moving from basic Newtonian conservation laws and concepts like Coulomb repulsion to the idea of chemical reactions occurring. I'm hoping to move downward from statistic models presented in thermodynamics to considering a chemical reaction ( for example a sea of cations and anions forming salt or simple covalent bonding) from the principles of cross-sectional interactions and field interaction, but I need to consult some textbook addressing the physics and chemistry.

Does anyone have any textbooks they are fond of that describe chemical reactions from a physical/physics interpretation, particularly how one describing the interactions through interactions with the nucleus and surrounding local fields involved in the reactions?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Earlier development of theory of chemical reactions lead to Nobel going to Hoffmann and Fukui. The molecular orbital theory of chemical reaction might give you an intuitively easy explanation. If you are going past that, then I don't know. The quantum theory of chemical reactions is a relatively new field of chemistry, and sophisticated calculations only came after development of computational chemistry with the introduction of high-performance computers in the past few decades. I am not sure if we can find a textbook exclusively on quantum chemical theory of reactions, especially when concerning fields. I am also curious to know.

Likes bt623
It seems like there might be two different issues here that most chemists would study separately:
1. The thermodynamics of chemical reactions (i.e. which bonds break and which bonds form in a chemical reaction). This would be the topic with the most complicated quantum mechanics to understand the nature of the chemical bond.

2. The kinetics of chemical reactions (i.e. how fast to chemical reactions occur). Here, the connections to collision theory and statistical mechanics are more relevant. This topic involves the kinetic theory of gases, the Arrehnius equation, the Eyring equation, and transition state theory. The quantum mechanics from above would be relevant to finding the energy landscape that defines the transition state and activation energy (though how one performs such calculations is beyond my knowledge).

Not sure of which textbooks might be helpful, but perhaps this helps focus your search. For kinetics, most physical chemistry or chemistry-focused stat mech texts should have chapters on the kinetic theory of gasses and its relation to the kinetics of gas-phase reactions (though perhaps you are already familiar with these concepts).

Likes bt623
bt623 said:
describe chemical reactions from a physical/physics interpretation, particularly how one describing the interactions through interactions with the nucleus and surrounding local fields involved in the reactions?
Linus Pauling, The Nature of the Chemical Bond, excepting the fact that "chemical bond" is a "flexible" term, ranging from inter-atomic attractions/repulsions between He atoms depending upon which side of the the Joule-Thomson inversion temperature one happens to be; i.e., "overlap integrals" have been around a long time.

Likes bt623

1. What is the basic concept of a chemical reaction in physics?

A chemical reaction is a process in which substances, called reactants, interact with each other to form new substances, called products. The reactants undergo a chemical change, resulting in the formation of different products with new chemical properties.

2. How can the principles of physics be applied to understanding chemical reactions?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental principles that govern chemical reactions. This includes concepts such as energy, thermodynamics, and kinetics, which help explain the behavior and transformation of particles at the atomic and molecular level during a reaction.

3. What are some recommended textbooks for learning about the physics of chemical reactions?

Some widely used textbooks for studying the physics of chemical reactions include "Chemical Kinetics and Dynamics" by Jeffrey Steinfeld, "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Donald A. McQuarrie and John D. Simon, and "Thermodynamics, Kinetics, and Statistical Mechanics" by Andrew Cooksy.

4. Can you explain the role of activation energy in a chemical reaction?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is needed to overcome the energy barrier between the reactants and the products. Without sufficient activation energy, a reaction will not proceed and the reactants will remain unchanged.

5. How do the laws of thermodynamics apply to chemical reactions?

The laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second laws, play a crucial role in understanding the energy changes that occur during a chemical reaction. These laws explain the conservation of energy and the direction of energy flow, which are essential for predicting and understanding the energy changes in a reaction.