Chemistry of thyroid hormones doesn't make sense?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry hormones
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
sameeralord
Messages
659
Reaction score
3
Hello everyone,

This is a DIT molecule.

displayImage.do?defaultImage=true&imageIndex=0&chebiId=15768.png


Now the book says there is a coupling reaction DIT + DIT ----> gives T4 molecule or tyroxine hormone

Now this is how T4 looks like

thyroxine.gif


I don't understand how you can get this when there is a addition reaction between these two. Does coupling mean something else. Thank you :smile:
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
pzona said:
Coupling reactions are something entirely different from addition. Here's the basics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupling_reaction

Thanks :smile: Somehow I totally forgot to check what coupling reaction mean, I just took it literally thinking it was an addition reaction.
 
This is almost certainly an enzyme-catalyzed reaction. I'm guessing that by 'coupling reaction' they just mean that it's occurring in a metalloenzyme.

Even without knowing the enzyme in question I'd expect as much, given the nature of the reaction. Substitution on a phenyl ring is not easy, and might even require forming a radical intermediate.