How Does the Oxygen Balance in the Reaction C2H2 + N2O ---> CO2 + N2 + H2O?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Sonny92
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help to explain something simple to me, I am lost for answers, and this is something a 7th grader should know I am assuming.

C2H2 + N2O ---> CO2 + N2 + H2O. Now this may seem like a retarded question, but how can there be two oxygen molecules in the completed reaction formula when there's one in the original? Is it because this reaction is somehow producing another oxygen atom? or is there some balancing problems that I have? I am a novice at chemistry, just started taking it, so some clearification would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sorry! Saw no homeworks in here, so sorry for posting it in this section!
 
Sonny92 said:
C2H2 + N2O ---> CO2 + N2 + H2O

This is not balanced yet. Such a reaction equation is called "skeleton equation".

how can there be two oxygen molecules

There are no oxygen molecules in this reaction equation. Oxygen molecule is O2.

in the completed reaction formula

I guess you mean the reaction equation.

when there's one in the original?

I will repeat: there are no oxygen molecules in the equation.

I guess what you are trying to ask is "How come there is a single atom of oxygen on the left hand side, but three on the right hand side" - and the answer is "this is a skeletal reaction equation, not balanced yet".

Is it because this reaction is somehow producing another oxygen atom?

No chemical reaction is capable of producing atoms - they are always conserved (number of atoms of every kind after the reaction equals number of atoms of every kind before the reaction).