[Chemistry Q] Ionic Strength of a solution

In summary, ionic strength doesn't depend on the composition of the solution, but the concentration of ions present.
Remu
I got confused in dealing with ionic strength.

Homework Statement

In calculating ionic strength, do we consider the composition of the solution?

Take for example:

Solution 1 has
20 ml of 0.1 M NaCl and 35ml of 0.2 M CaCl

Solution 2 has
25 ml of 0.1 M NaCl and 30 ml of 0.2 M CaCl

Would the ionic strength be different for the two or be the same?
In other words, does ionic strength depends on the composition?

Homework Equations

Ionic Strength:
I = 0.5*sum(c*z^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ionic Strength:
I = 0.5*sum(c*z^2)
I = 0.5*(0.1*(+1)^2+0.2*(+1)^2+0.1*(-1)^2+0.…
I = 0.5*(0.6)
I = 0.3

So, are the two solutions going to have an ionic of 0.3 or would they have different ionic strengths?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realize that it doesn't depend on that issue. It's the matter of whether the ions are present or not. Since they have the same ions present in their solution, regardless of how much of the ions are present or regardless of their different amount in each solution, the ionic strength are the same. The ionic strength for solution 1 and solution 2 both have the value of 0.3.

Remu said:
In calculating ionic strength, do we consider the composition of the solution?

Yes.

20 ml of 0.1 M NaCl and 35ml of 0.2 M CaCl

No such thing as CaCl, perhaps you mean CaCl2.

Ionic Strength:
I = 0.5*sum(c*z^2)

Good, more texy:

[tex]I = \frac 1 2 \sum c_i z_i^2[/tex]

I = 0.5*(0.1*(+1)^2+0.2*(+1)^2+0.1*(-1)^2+0.…

You forgot that concentrations of ions after mixing have changed - for example concentration of Na+ is now 0.036M, that's because of the volume change.

Remu said:
I just realize that it doesn't depend on that issue. It's the matter of whether the ions are present or not. Since they have the same ions present in their solution, regardless of how much of the ions are present or regardless of their different amount in each solution, the ionic strength are the same. The ionic strength for solution 1 and solution 2 both have the value of 0.3.

No, you got it completely wrong - composition matters, concentrations matter, charges matter, neither of these solutions have ionic strength of 0.3 and their ionic strengths are different. Try to calculate using correct formula for CaCl2 and taking dilutions into account.

--

I see my mistake!
Thanks for clarifying!

1. What is the definition of ionic strength in chemistry?

Ionic strength is a measure of the concentration of ions in a solution. It takes into account the charge and size of each ion present, and is typically expressed in units of molarity or molality.

2. How is ionic strength calculated?

Ionic strength can be calculated by summing the products of the concentration of each ion present in the solution and its respective charge squared. This is known as the Debye-Hückel equation and is commonly used in chemistry calculations.

3. Why is ionic strength important in chemistry?

Ionic strength is important because it affects the behavior and properties of solutions, such as their conductivity, pH, and solubility. It also plays a role in chemical reactions and can impact the stability of colloidal systems.

4. How does ionic strength differ from concentration?

While concentration measures the amount of a substance in a given volume of solution, ionic strength takes into account the charge and size of each ion present. This means that solutions with the same concentration but different types and amounts of ions can have different ionic strengths.

5. How can ionic strength be controlled in a solution?

Ionic strength can be controlled by adjusting the concentrations of ions in a solution, either by adding or removing ions. It can also be affected by changes in temperature and pressure, as well as the presence of other substances that may interact with the ions in solution.