1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry: Using Formation Constant to calculate an end concentration

1. Dec 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

50.0 mL sample of 2.0 10–4 M CuNO3 is added to 50.0 mL of 4.0 M NaCN. The formation constant of the complex ion Cu(CN)3 is 1.0 10^9. What is the copper(I) ion concentration in this system at
    equilibrium?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did a dilution and got the new concentrations of Cu and CN to be 1x10^-4M for copper
    and 2M for CN
    Then Cu+3CN→Cu(CN)_3
    I (1.0x10^-4)(2)
    C
    E

Not sure how to proceed

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You have a huge excess of cyanide - so you can safely assume its concentration doesn't change (after dilution).

For the same reason - and taking into account quite large formation constant - you can safely assume all copper is complexed.

That gives you approximate, but quite reasonable values for two concentrations. There is only one unknown now.

After you are done, you should check if the assumptions hold.

4. Dec 14, 2012 #3
    Ok, so I did that
    I got the Concentration of of copper cyanide to be 1.28E7
    then did the reverse rxn
    CuCN_3_→3CN+Cu
    (1.28E7) 3x x

the new K value i got to be 1/1E9=1E-9
    so (27x^4/(1.28E7))=1E-9
    i got x to be .0147

The answer booklet says 1.3E-14

5. Dec 15, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You misunderstood. If all of copper was complexed, concentration of the complex is limited by the stoichiometry.

Whenever you see concentration higher than 10M you can be almost sure something is already wrong.

6. Dec 16, 2012 #5
    Ah ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook