Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choice fo courses - Accountancy or Engineering?

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    I'm having trouble if what course I should take... :cry:... Accountancy or Engineering? Which one???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2
  4. Mar 8, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Love your username, Google. :rofl:
    I don't have time to read through those myself, VM. All of the advice that I can give you is the same that I give to everyone who asks my opinion; you have to do what feels right for you. Gut instinct, while sometimes contradictory to logic, usually is correct. From a scientific standpoint, I just like to put it down to my sub-conscious mind thinking faster and more clearly than my conscious one.
    What is it that attracts you to each of those? Engineering involves an awful lot of math, but doesn't give the opportunity for pure math (research? I know that's wrong, but I don't know the proper term.). Pure math does give you that opportunity, but you don't get to blow stuff up. My thinking is that if you love both, Engineering would be the way to go. You could still pursue pure math as a sideline or hobby. It would be harder to have an Engineering hobby while employed as a mathematician.

5. Mar 8, 2008 #4
    My dream is to become a professional accountant

but i want PURE MATH!

6. Mar 8, 2008 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you considered trying a double major?

7. Mar 9, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Never having been to school, I don't know how such things work, but GO1's idea sounds reasonable. Follow your dream, with some practical backup plans.

8. Mar 9, 2008 #7
    hmm.... i will try if i can...

9. Mar 9, 2008 #8
    Guys, I think I will take accountancy... My mom said that ...nvm

10. Mar 9, 2008 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Accounting is sssssssssoooooooooo boring.

11. Mar 9, 2008 #10
    I don't tink it will be possible to do both, maybe one after the other, but definitely not together.

12. Mar 9, 2008 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It definitely won't be easy, but if the OP enjoys the work then where's the problem? I know several people double majoring in other time-consuming majors and it is indeed possible.

Another option, if the OP thinks double majoring is too much work, they could consider a minor in one or the other.

I suggest doing whatever interests you the most if not a double major, VashtiMaiden. I would regret, as would many people I think, majoring in something I was not completely interested in. I always hate having to point this out, since I know many people do not want to disappoint their parents, usually for good reasons, but you have to remember you are the one going to college, not your mother, so you should major in what you want to major in. This is your decision, VashtiMaiden. Remember that.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  13. Mar 10, 2008 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think Accounting and Pure Math is practical. There is absolutely no overlap.

I'm getting a two year accounting diploma in April and B.Sc. in Mathematics in April. Trust me, I would never attempt to do both at the same time on a full-time basis.

14. Mar 10, 2008 #13
    Final Decision

Thanks guys...
    I think you misunderstood something, G01,..my mother has nothing to do with my decision, she's only supporting me. Accountancy is what I want,really. but because of my interest in math, I want to take Engineering..

My final decision is..

I will take Accountany. I really dont think it is boring JasonRox. I find it very interesting. The most important to me now is I can find a nice job after I graduate. and as long as I can support God's work, that's enough to me.:smile:.

Thank you everyone.. ^__^.

Wish me all the best, and I hope I will graduate in high school..
    My graduation is on March 28, 2008.

God Bless!

15. Mar 12, 2008 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Congrats!

It is boring. Accounting in high school is not accounting. It's called bookkeeping. I spent two years doing accounting. I'm glad it's over. The textbooks are just horrid!

16. Mar 13, 2008 #15
    Accounting in high school? :confused: umm.. we never had that subject...

17. Mar 13, 2008 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then where did you hear accounting is interesting? How do you even know what it is? (Majority of people who think they know are generally wrong.)

You're parents are probably wanting you to go into Accounting because of it's career security and all that jazz. Personally, I would go to finance and I'm sure a lot of accountants of today would choose that route too. When applying to firms, I had a nice talk with an accountant (not an interview) and he recommended going into Finance because of my accounting and mathematics background.

Finance will make you better money.

Note: Finance is still boring though (for me anyways).

18. Mar 13, 2008 #17
    I'm having a advance study. :smile:

19. Mar 13, 2008 #18
    I think going into general math would be your best choice, given your hesitation. You will quickly graduate, and, after that, you will be able to branch out in either engineering, accounting or whatever you please with some minimal graduate studies (make sure you take a few electives that have a focus in finance and in accounting).

20. Mar 13, 2008 #19
    Is this in the right forum? What makes you think we are the people who should be deciding?

21. Mar 13, 2008 #20

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

VashtiMaiden - interesting name. So how's Esther after all theses years?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?