Choosing a college that will help with future employment

In summary, the person wants to focus on design and fabrication of integrated circuits and digital logic design, and is considering Electrical Engineering departments at colleges. They would like some advice on which colleges would be best for them.
wukunlin
Gold Member
Previously I have posted the following thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=519140

basically I'm thinking about working in the semiconductor industry and am planning on getting a master's degree in the states after I finish my honour's in new zealand.

now I look back at that thread I found two problems:

1) "working in semiconductor industry" is a really broad term and can mean anything, so I had a few weeks to think about it I have pretty much figured out I want to focus on design and fabrication of integrated circuits and digital logic design.

2) I posted in the careers forum when I actually need advice on which college I should go to to complete my education. (which is why I posted this thread in this forum)

so I now I want to ask the wonderful people in PF the following questions:

1) considering how I will want to focus on design and fabrication of integrated circuits and digital logic design, does that mean I should focus on Electrical Engineering departments when looking at the colleges I am going to apply for? I have seen other disciplines such as electronics enginnering and computer engineering but I have the impression that they are more specialized field of electrical engineering mixed with a few others such as computer science, is that correct or am I talking garbage?

2) say I want to focus on electrical engineering, which college will have strengths in this area? The first name that popped into my head is Stanford due to their links with silicon valley. But, being one of those universities at the very top of just about everyone's ranking lists probably means I will have very little chance of squeezing in. (I have an overall GPA around A- in my degree so far)
My future employers wouldn't really care about which university I went to will they? As long as it doesn't sound like a factory that prints out certificates to anyone that pays.
I think what is probably more important (and the main reason I want to do postgrad in the states) is a college located where I can conveniently find internship opportunities. Is there some sort of collaration between colleges and companies?
The colleges in the bay area look good, and there are also a few semiconductor companies in austin, texas. But I don't want to dive in head first before I know what I am really doing

TL;DR: I want to made silicon chips, will need to find a college in US to do masters, which ones are ideal?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A.1) It is hard to generalize here, hence check each department individually. A.2) There are many good universities in the US that deal with semiconductors, e.g. Purdue (some of their courses are available for free at www.nanohub.org), UIUC, U. of California (SB,B), RPI and others.

I would imagine Cal Poly would have a good program

thanks, I think this gives me a rough idea of the cluster of universities I will apply for.
Still have a bit of time to decided though, but right now I should probably focus on the getting the grades I need to be accepted XD

thanks again

I understand your concerns about choosing a college that will help with future employment in the field of semiconductor industry. It's great that you have taken the time to reflect on your goals and narrow down your focus to design and fabrication of integrated circuits and digital logic design. This will help guide your decision in choosing a suitable college.

1) Based on your interests, it does seem like Electrical Engineering would be the most relevant department to focus on. However, it's important to also consider other disciplines such as Electronics Engineering and Computer Engineering as they may offer courses that are more specialized in your specific area of interest. It's always a good idea to research the curriculum and course offerings of each program to see which one aligns best with your career goals.

2) When it comes to choosing a college, it's important to not just look at their ranking, but also their strengths in the specific area you are interested in. Stanford is definitely a top university in the field of engineering and has strong connections with the semiconductor industry in Silicon Valley. However, there are other universities that may also have strong programs in this area, such as MIT, Caltech, and University of California- Berkeley. It's important to do your research and reach out to alumni or current students in these programs to get a better understanding of their experiences and opportunities for internships.

In terms of future employers, it's true that they may not necessarily care about which university you attended, as long as it is a reputable institution. However, attending a top university can provide you with access to a strong network and opportunities for internships, which can greatly enhance your chances of securing a job in the semiconductor industry.

Ultimately, it's important to find a college that not only has a strong program in your area of interest, but also offers opportunities for internships and has a location that is convenient for you to pursue those opportunities. Don't be afraid to reach out to current students or alumni for their insights and advice. Best of luck in your search for the ideal college for your future career in the semiconductor industry!

1. How do I know which college will provide the best opportunities for future employment?

There are a few factors to consider when choosing a college for future employment. Look at the college's job placement rate, internship opportunities, alumni network, and career services resources. You can also research the reputation and ranking of the college's program in your field of interest.

2. Should I focus on the college's overall reputation or the specific program I want to study?

Both are important. A well-respected college can open doors and provide a strong network, while a highly ranked program can provide specialized training and connections in your desired field. Consider a balance of both when making your decision.

3. Is it better to attend a prestigious college with a higher tuition or a more affordable college?

This ultimately depends on your personal financial situation. Attending a prestigious college may provide more networking opportunities and a stronger alumni network, but it may also come with a higher price tag. Consider your budget and the potential return on investment in terms of future job opportunities.

4. How important is the location of the college for future employment?

The location of the college can play a role in future employment, but it is not the only factor to consider. Some industries may have a strong presence in certain cities or regions, and attending a college in that area may provide more opportunities for internships and networking. However, with the rise of remote work, location may not be as important as it once was.

5. What resources should I look for in a college to help with future employment?

Look for colleges with strong career services departments, internship programs, and a robust alumni network. Also, consider the availability of career fairs, job placement services, and opportunities for practical experience in your desired field. You can also research the success and outcomes of recent graduates from the college.