Choosing a Masters Degree- Physics or Engineering?

In summary, the speaker is a senior Engineering Physics major at Eastern Michigan University. Although the program is not ABET accredited, the physics department is highly regarded. The speaker has a good GPA and a strong interest in physics. They have taken various physics electives and also have a math minor. The speaker is unsure about pursuing a Master's degree in physics and is considering other engineering disciplines such as electrical and civil engineering. They value job security and the ability to work with others. The speaker is also aware of the need to market themselves and their skills in order to secure a job in the field of physics.
Overkill777
I am a senior Engineering Physics Major at Eastern Michigan. The program is not ABET accredited, however the physics department is very good here. I have a good GPA and a strong love for physics (overall GPA >3.70, Physics GPA >3.90). The Engineering Physics major here is almost the same as the Physics Major. Here is a link to my major:

http://catalog.emich.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=1&poid=316&bc=1"

For my Physics electives, I have taken Electricity and Magnetism, Intro to Quantum Mechanics, Intermediate Mechanics, and Mathematical Physics. I also have a math minor even though a minor is not required.

I need to decide, pretty much ASAP what to get my masters degree in. I'm not sure how well qualified I am for other types of engineering, like electrical or civil.

I'm also not sure I would enjoy grad physics as much as undergrad and I really don't want to do research for a living, so I'm thinking probably not physics. I want to solve problems and I also want to work with other people in groups, I don't want to be stuck off at a desk somewhere.

I have been thinking about Electrical Engineering because I have really enjoyed my Electronics class. But I have also been considering civil engineering because it seems like job security might be a little better. I think it's most important to be able to get a job after I graduate.

Any Advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There will be job security in both of those engineering disciplines for a LONG time. The economy is in a slump right now sure, but changes aren't permanent (but change is), so sooner or later people will want to buy all sorts of trinkets again, and engineers will be needed to make those trinkets.

I've worked with one person who has a Master's in physics. He worked for Boeing on acoustics for a few years, then switched to mainly programming, then had some sort of project jointly with the university I'm at (also programming), and then just jumped ship to the university and does coding for various research projects.

So it's possible to get a job with a Master's in physics and it would probably be more varied than an engineering job, but you have to know how to sell yourself. Most of the time when you tell someone you do or know physics, they will ask "What's that?"

They don't know. They think it's only standing in front of a chalk board and looking at equations, if anything. So you have to show the person who's hiring you that you can do what they want you to do.

Also, a lot of schools offer Master's programs in applied physics, which might be more up your alley, since it would be easier to convince someone you can do what they want if your degree has the word "applied" on it. It's just how it works.

I would suggest considering your career goals and interests before making a decision between a Masters degree in Physics or Engineering. Both fields offer unique opportunities and it's important to choose the one that aligns with your passions and long-term goals.

If you have a strong love for physics and a good GPA in the subject, pursuing a Masters in Physics may be a good option for you. However, if you are more interested in problem-solving and working in teams, a Masters in Engineering may be a better fit.

It's also important to consider the job market and demand for each field. While there may be more job security in civil engineering, the demand for skilled physicists is also high in certain industries such as technology and research.

I would also recommend exploring the curriculum and course offerings for each program to see which one aligns more with your interests and strengths. You may also want to speak with professionals in both fields to gain more insight into the day-to-day work and job opportunities available.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal interests, skills, and career goals. Whichever path you choose, make sure to put in the effort and dedication to excel in your chosen field.

1. What is the difference between a Masters in Physics and a Masters in Engineering?

The main difference between a Masters in Physics and a Masters in Engineering is the focus of the curriculum. A Masters in Physics will typically have a more theoretical and research-based approach, while a Masters in Engineering will have a more practical and application-based approach. Additionally, a Masters in Physics will dive deeper into fundamental concepts and theories, while a Masters in Engineering will focus on the practical application of those concepts.

2. Which degree would be better for someone interested in research?

If you are interested in pursuing a career in research, a Masters in Physics may be the better option. This degree will provide a strong foundation in theoretical concepts and research methods, preparing you for a career in academia or research institutions. However, a Masters in Engineering can also lead to research opportunities, especially in fields such as materials science or biomedical engineering.

3. Are there any specific career paths associated with each degree?

A Masters in Physics can lead to careers in research, academia, or industry, with potential job titles such as physicist, research scientist, or data analyst. A Masters in Engineering can lead to careers in a variety of industries, with job titles such as engineer, project manager, or consultant. Ultimately, the specific career path will depend on your interests, skills, and the specialization within each degree.

4. Is there a significant difference in salary potential between the two degrees?

Generally, there is not a significant difference in salary potential between a Masters in Physics and a Masters in Engineering. However, this can vary depending on the specific industry and job role. In some cases, engineers may have a higher starting salary due to the practical skills and application-based knowledge gained in their degree. However, physicists may have opportunities for higher salaries in research or academic positions.

5. Can I pursue a Masters in Physics with an undergraduate degree in Engineering, or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in a different field from your undergraduate degree. However, you may need to take additional courses to bridge any knowledge gaps and meet the prerequisites for the program. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program you are interested in to determine if this is a feasible option for you.