Choosing a second major with physics

In summary, a third year physics major is considering adding a second major to their undergraduate degree. They are interested in applied math and financial modelling and are unsure whether either of these majors would be a good fit for them. They would like to know whether majoring in financial modelling would be good for them as they would have two areas of study if they choose to do that. They are also interested in trying to get an internship but want to decide on their second major first.
dcrisci
Hello, I am a third year physics major and am enjoying it very much, however I have realized that with only a honours major in physics I am not that marketable as an individual and will probably need to pursue a masters or PhD.

I am interested in applied math and am able to add an applied math major to my first physics major, and was told this would help me both on getting a job after university as well as complements my physics knowledge with more in depth knowledge towards the math I am doing. I was about to begin choosing courses for this major when I realized I am able to also major in financial modelling (part of the app. math department). I was looking at the courses I would take with the financial modelling major and am quite interested in learning these as well

So now I am led to this, as I am probably going to add a second major to my first (physics); should I major in applied math or financial modelling?

I understand the straight applied math courses would give me a great deal of understanding of the math done within physics but I am not sure if I will end up doing something in physics. Would this combination still allow me to have a great amount of job opportunities, possibly in the financial side of the world as well?

Would majoring in financial modelling be good as I would have perhaps two areas of study, so two things to fall back on as a career?

I am also interested in trying to get an internship but would like to decide on my second major to begin that process.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it just depends on whether you want to go work in finance or just keep on doing physics. If you can answer this you can also choose the second major.

Last edited:
I want to keep my options open, if I was to do the applied math major would I have the knowledge to be in finance or would I need that financial modelling major to get into that line of work? I was told it would be good to have something to fall back on if I had the financial modelling major under my belt if physics didn't go well after my undergrad years (as I was told I would probably need to pursue a PhD in physics to get somewhere )

1. What are the benefits of choosing a second major with physics?

Choosing a second major with physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, data analysis, and more. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the natural world and can enhance critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Is it difficult to balance a second major in physics with other courses?

It can be challenging to balance a second major in physics with other courses, as it requires a significant time commitment and a strong foundation in mathematics and sciences. However, with proper time management and dedication, it is possible to successfully complete both majors.

3. Can I choose any other major to pair with physics?

Yes, you can choose any major to pair with physics, but it is recommended to choose a major that complements and enhances your understanding of physics. Some popular choices include mathematics, computer science, engineering, and astronomy.

4. Will having a second major in physics increase my job prospects?

Having a second major in physics can significantly increase your job prospects, as it showcases your diverse skill set and ability to excel in multiple fields. Employers often value individuals with a strong foundation in physics, as it demonstrates critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills.

5. Can I still pursue a career in physics with a second major in another field?

Absolutely. Having a second major in another field does not limit your ability to pursue a career in physics. In fact, it can make you stand out as a well-rounded candidate with a diverse skill set. You can also consider pursuing a graduate degree in physics to further specialize in the field.