Choosing between Theoretical and Applied Physics

In summary, the speaker is a third year university student with a bachelor's degree in Physics. They are now faced with choosing between Theoretical and Applied physics as their focus for their third year. They are torn between their interest in mathematics and their desire to study Electronics, which is only available in the Applied stream. The speaker is seeking advice on which path to choose, as both seem appealing to them.
ClaireBear1596
Hi all,

I'm going into my third year of university and up until this point I have been studying a little of everything in physics(my degree is a bachelors in Physics), for my third year however we have to select a stream of physics to focus on and I am stuck between Theoretical and Applied physics. I was going to go for theoretical because I really enjoy maths and we get to study interesting subjects in maths like electromagnetism and partial deferential equations. These won't be available to me though if I study applied physics which isn't ideal. However one subject I cannot do if I pick Theoretical is Electronics, which is something I am very interested in and I think it is a very practical subject to study.
I really don't know what to do here. I have been enjoying everything I've been studying in both areas so far, I was thinking Theoretical would be best for me but Applied just feels like it maybe more practical, and I really want to study Electronics. My degree is an undergraduate degree though so maybe it doesn't make a huge difference in the long run. The following are the list of subjects I would be studying if I picked one or the other:

Theoretical:
-Computational Physics
-Electromagnetism
-Mathematical Methods I
-Partial Differential Equations
-Quantum Physics
-Wave Optics
-Fluid Mechanics
-Mathematical Methods II
-Modelling II
-Nuclear and Particle Physics
-Properties of Materials
-Thermal Physics

Applied:
-Computational Physics
-Electronics
-Mathematical Methods I
-Quantum Physics
-Wave Optics
-choice between: Modelling I&II, Physics of the Environment I&II, or Applied Statistics I&II
-Mathematical Methods II
-Nuclear and Particle Physics

Any advice welcome, thanks for reading.
Claire

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the main difference between theoretical and applied physics?

Theoretical physics is focused on developing and testing theories and models to explain the fundamental laws and principles of the universe. It involves mathematical and conceptual research to understand the underlying mechanisms of physical phenomena. On the other hand, applied physics is concerned with using those theories and principles to solve real-world problems and develop practical technologies.

2. Which field of physics offers more job opportunities?

Both theoretical and applied physics have a wide range of job opportunities, but applied physics tends to have more job openings in industries such as engineering, materials science, and technology. Theoretical physics often leads to academic or research positions.

3. Which field of physics is more challenging?

The difficulty level of both fields depends on the individual's strengths and interests. Theoretical physics may be more challenging for those who struggle with complex mathematical concepts, while applied physics may be more challenging for those who prefer hands-on experimentation and application of theories.

4. Can I switch between theoretical and applied physics in my career?

Yes, it is possible to switch between the two fields in your career. Many physicists start off in one field and later transition into the other or combine both in their work. It is important to have a strong foundation in both areas to be able to make the switch successfully.

5. Which field of physics has more potential for groundbreaking discoveries?

Both fields have the potential for groundbreaking discoveries. Theoretical physics has led to major breakthroughs in understanding the fundamental laws of the universe, while applied physics has paved the way for practical technologies that have transformed our daily lives. Both fields complement each other and contribute to advancements in our understanding of the physical world.