1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing between Theoretical and Applied Physics

1. Aug 10, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I'm going into my third year of university and up until this point I have been studying a little of everything in physics(my degree is a bachelors in Physics), for my third year however we have to select a stream of physics to focus on and I am stuck between Theoretical and Applied physics. I was going to go for theoretical because I really enjoy maths and we get to study interesting subjects in maths like electromagnetism and partial deferential equations. These won't be available to me though if I study applied physics which isn't ideal. However one subject I cannot do if I pick Theoretical is Electronics, which is something I am very interested in and I think it is a very practical subject to study.
    I really don't know what to do here. I have been enjoying everything I've been studying in both areas so far, I was thinking Theoretical would be best for me but Applied just feels like it maybe more practical, and I really want to study Electronics. My degree is an undergraduate degree though so maybe it doesn't make a huge difference in the long run. The following are the list of subjects I would be studying if I picked one or the other:

Theoretical:
    -Computational Physics
    -Electromagnetism
    -Mathematical Methods I
    -Partial Differential Equations
    -Quantum Physics
    -Wave Optics
    -Fluid Mechanics
    -Mathematical Methods II
    -Modelling II
    -Nuclear and Particle Physics
    -Properties of Materials
    -Thermal Physics

Applied:
    -Computational Physics
    -Electronics
    -Mathematical Methods I
    -Quantum Physics
    -Wave Optics
    -choice between: Modelling I&II, Physics of the Environment I&II, or Applied Statistics I&II
    -Mathematical Methods II
    -Nuclear and Particle Physics

Any advice welcome, thanks for reading.
    Claire

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2015 #2
    Follow your heart and work hard!

4. Aug 10, 2015 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook