Choosing coefficients for eigenvectors.

I'm not sure how to summarize this conversation, but in summary, the problem is asking to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the given operator in an orthonormal basis. The eigenvectors should be expressed as a function of the basis vectors and normalized. The problem also asks to write down the projection operators over the normalized eigenvectors and verify closure and orthogonality relations. The method for finding the projection operators is not clear, but the process for verifying closure and orthogonality is understood.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

For the following operator represented in the orthonormal basis {|1>, |2>}

[tex]\hat{M} =
\begin{pmatrix}
2 & i\sqrt{2} \\
-i\sqrt{2 & 2}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors and express them as a function of |1> and |2> normalized.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to apply what I learned way back in linear algebra. When I solve for the eigenvector coefficients, I end up with a system of 2 variables and 1 equation (alternatively 2 variables and a rank 1 matrix), which gives me (2 - 1) free parameters to set arbitrarily. However back in algebra I used to just pick a variable "gamma" or whatever and leave my eigenvector in terms of it. Now I'm supposed to fix an actual number to it? For what reason and how should I pick my free parameters?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lavabug said:

Homework Statement

For the following operator represented in the orthonormal basis {|1>, |2>}

[tex]\hat{M} =
\begin{pmatrix}
2 & i\sqrt{2} \\
-i\sqrt{2} & 2
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors and express them as a function of |1> and |2> normalized.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to apply what I learned way back in linear algebra. When I solve for the eigenvector coefficients, I end up with a system of 2 variables and 1 equation (alternatively 2 variables and a rank 1 matrix), which gives me (2 - 1) free parameters to set arbitrarily. However back in algebra I used to just pick a variable "gamma" or whatever and leave my eigenvector in terms of it. Now I'm supposed to fix an actual number to it? For what reason and how should I pick my free parameters?
Why? Because the problem is asking you to. :wink:

Just arbitrarily set the free parameter to, say, 1, and then normalize the resulting vector.

vela said:
Why? Because the problem is asking you to. :wink:

Just arbitrarily set the free parameter to, say, 1, and then normalize the resulting vector.

Thanks. Today we went over an identical problem in class, what we did was basically write down the eigenvector as a function of only 1 coefficient, then impose the orthonormalization condition to solve for it to get the normalized eigenvector.

I forgot to mention the other part of the problem:

Write down in matrix form the projectors over the 2 normalized eigenvectors. Verify that they satisfy the closure and orthogonality relations.
Last one seems straightforward, just check that my 2 eigenvectors satisfy [itex]\langle\Psi_{1N}|\Psi_{2N}\rangle = 0 [/itex].

But I have no idea how the first thing is done. From my notes it looks like we wrote down the unit matrix in the form of dot products between the unit vectors, and stuck the projection operator in between the dot products for each.

Checking for closure I understand is just adding up the projection operators to see if they give the identity matrix, but I need to understand the previous part of the question.

1. How do you choose coefficients for eigenvectors?

There is no one definitive way to choose coefficients for eigenvectors. However, a common approach is to use the Gram-Schmidt process or the QR decomposition method to orthogonalize the eigenvectors, and then use the resulting orthogonal vectors as the coefficients.

2. What is the purpose of choosing coefficients for eigenvectors?

Choosing coefficients for eigenvectors is important because it allows us to represent a matrix in terms of its eigenvectors, which can simplify calculations and reveal important relationships between the matrix and its eigenvalues.

3. Can you choose any coefficients for eigenvectors?

No, the coefficients for eigenvectors must satisfy certain conditions. They must be chosen such that the resulting eigenvectors are linearly independent, and they must also be normalized (have a magnitude of 1).

4. Are there any specific techniques for choosing coefficients for eigenvectors?

Yes, there are various techniques for choosing coefficients for eigenvectors, such as the power method, inverse iteration, and Jacobi method. These techniques are based on different iterative algorithms and can be used to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing coefficients for eigenvectors?

When choosing coefficients for eigenvectors, it is important to consider the properties of the matrix, such as its size, symmetry, and sparsity. The desired accuracy of the resulting eigenvectors and eigenvalues should also be taken into account, as well as the time and computational resources available for the calculation.