Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing constants to make integral convergent

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    I want to integrate γβγx/(β + x)γ+1 from 0 to ∞ (given β and γ are both > 0)

So for large x the integrand is approximately proportional to x

So for which values of γ is the integral defined? Surely for any γ > 0 the integrand tends to zero as x tends to infinity?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need γ > 1 to integrate to ∞. The integral of 1/x is divergent for x -> ∞.

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3
    But 1/x2 etc. is ok?

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, in fact ∫x-(1+ε) converges for any ε > 0. Even ∫1/(x ln1+ε(x)) converges, but not ∫1/(x ln(x)) , nor ∫1/(x ln(x)ln(ln(x))) etc.

6. Aug 2, 2012 #5
    Thanks that's really helpful. Is it because the ones that don't exist aren't going to zero fast enough?

And what about non-negative powers - are there any special cases where these can be integrated to infinity that I should be aware of?

e.g. ∫x2

7. Aug 2, 2012 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey sr3056.

For this problem I'm assuming that you are integrating with respect to x and that the other parameters are independent from x.

It might help if you make a change of variable u = β + x, change your limits and then integrate with respect to this.

The reason is that you will get (u-β)/u^[y+1] which can be analytically integrated under which you can get a lower and upper limit and decide exactly what your parameter must be for it to converge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook