1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Choosing subjects for a career in nanotechnology/nanoscience

1. Sep 11, 2016 #1
    Hi all,
    I am looking at a university's undergraduate science program and trying to decide on which subjects would be suited for a career in nanotechnology.

I've spoken to a counselor but she was not able to pinpoint exactly which subjects I should take. After a bit of reading and research, I've settled on the chemistry topics, but I'm having trouble picking the physics subjects, primarily because I am not entirely certain whether they are relevant to nanotechnology:

Following are the subjects I cannot decide on:
    • Waves and Optics
    • Thermal and Statistical Physics
    • Nuclear Physics
    • Physics of Fluid Flows
    • Fourier Systems and Optics
    • Advanced Quantum Physics
    • Advanced Electromagnetism
    • Advanced Classical Mechanics
    • Advanced Statistical Mechanics

Thank-you for your time. Please feel free to provide any opinions on the general topic (of trying to work in nanotechnology) as I greatly appreciate any advice.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 12, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just found out that you were from Australia not USA - though that shouldn't really make any difference to the selection of subjects that you need to study .

Not as good as the US site referenced in previous post but some useful information is given here :

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology/degree_country.php?country=Australia

5. Sep 12, 2016 #4
    Thank-you Nidum, that US website is quite useful, it has helped me narrow down my subject selection a bit.

A further question: I am looking to study at ANU in Australia next year. They offer a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Engineering (no specialty in materials science/engineering unfortunately).

I am interested in researching novel or current materials and crafting them for use in renewable energy and medicine. Would you consider engineering or science a more suitable option for this purpose?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted