1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Choosing to be an academic in physics

1. Nov 25, 2016 #1
    Hey there,

As an undergrad first year, physics has been great but I have some dilemmas of what I want to do. I want to go into research/ academia but it seems as though, despite me getting good grades, I don't necessarily get some concepts straight away, to the point I'm self conscious in my abilities. I would tell myself "why didn't i get this the first time".... I would think i'm kind of a perfectionist, setting high standard for myself, but i want to see someone else's perspective.

I would like to know if, for all you PHD students/ academics, how undergrad was for you guys and should this deter me from this. Was it easy for you....?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2016 #2
    Physics is hard. You won't get some concepts straight away, it takes a lot of work. Succeeding in physics (at least in undergrad) doesn't require you to understand things right away, but it requires not being discouraged by not being able to do so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted