1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle and Chords intersected by x-axis

1. Nov 8, 2011 #1

AGNuke

Gold Member

Let a circle be given by 2x (x-a) + y(2y-b) = 0; (a≠0, b≠0).

Find the condition on a and b if two chords, each bisected by the x-axis, can be drawn to the circle from (a, b/2)

My attempt in this question is not quite relevant at this moment. I just found that (a,b/2) will lie on circle and the equation of chord being b(x-p) - 2y(a-p) = 0; where (p,0) is the midpoint of a chord.

Further than that, I have no idea what to do... :|

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the x-axis bisects the chord, what is the y-coordinate of both of the other endpoints?

4. Nov 9, 2011 #3

AGNuke

Gold Member

One point of the chord, which is present on the circle as well is (a, b/2), which is given, other than that, no relevant info is given.

I'm trying to solve the question in due time and I hope I can solve this question in my second attempt, using entirely new approach.

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My point is: The y coordinate of the point midway between (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) is given by [itex]\displaystyle\frac{y_1+y_2}{2}\,.[/itex]

If [itex]\displaystyle\frac{y_1+y_2}{2}=0[/itex] (The y coordinate for any point on the x-axis is zero.), then if y1 = b/2, what is y2 ?

6. Nov 10, 2011 #5

AGNuke

Gold Member

That's the problem, it is not given. But from section formula, it is obvious that it is -b/2

7. Nov 10, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't need any formulas! If [itex](y_1+ y_2)/2= 0[/itex] and [itex]y_1= b/2[/itex] then [itex](b/2+ y_2)/2= 0[/itex] so, multiplying through by 2, [itex]b/2+ y_2= 0[/itex] and then [itex]y_2= -b/2.[/itex]

8. Nov 10, 2011 #7

AGNuke

Gold Member

But isn't gif.latex?\frac{y_{1}+y_{2}}{2}=0.gif is a Section formula itself?

9. Nov 10, 2011 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know what "section" you mean. I would take "[itex](y_1+ y_2)/2= 0[/itex]" as coming from the given information that the x-axis bisects the chord.

10. Nov 10, 2011 #9

AGNuke

Gold Member

Section Formula? To find out the point dividing the distance between two co-ordinates in a fixed ratio either internally or externally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook