Question about circle chord midpt locus

In summary, the problem involves finding the midpoints of chords on a circle with the equation x^2+y^2=25 that contain the point A on the positive x-axis. Two equations can be used to find the midpoints, one involving the points on the circle and the other involving the center of the circle. However, the problem can be simplified by recognizing it as a homothetic transformation with center A and scale factor of 1/2. This method is simpler and can be visualized before writing down the equation.
kurketom

Homework Statement

A is the pt where the circle with wquation x^2+y^2=25 cuts the positive x-axis. Find the midpts of the chords of this circle that contain the pt A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it is about the midpt of chords, I try to set up a equation for the chords:

y/x-5 = (√(25 - a^2)) / ((√(25 - b^2) - 5)

where (a,b) are the pt on the circle and their ranges are -5<=a<=5 -5<=b<=5 and (x,y) are the pt will fit in the chord

Then I used another equation which is perpendicular to the chord and pass through the center of the cirlce (0,0):

y/x = (5 - (√(25 - b^2)) / (√(25 - a^2))

Since the intersection of these two pts will be the mid pt of the chord by combining them together it should get the locus. But turn out to be very wired and wrong... Please help me out!

Thx in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can represent a point on the circle as (t,sqrt(25-t^2)). The point A is (5,0). You can find the midpoint of that chord without any line equations. Just take the sum and divide by 2.

Last edited:
This problem is simpler if you abandon coordinates and recognize it as a homothetic transformation with center A and scale factor of 1/2. Do you know what similar figures are in Euclidean geometry? Even if you want to express your final answer in terms of an equation it will be simpler to visualize the answer and then write down the equation than it would be to derive the equation algebraically. (though I grant that your instructor might prefer the algebraic method).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homothetic_transformation

Man can't believe the answer is so simple... Anyway thanks a lot! And homothetic transformation never heard of it! Thx for letting me know! I will keep reading. But yeah I think I will just answer with the algebraic method first. Thx again for the replies!

What is a circle chord midpt locus?

A circle chord midpt locus is a geometric concept that describes the locus (set of all points) that are equidistant from the endpoints of a chord on a circle. In other words, it is the set of all points that are exactly halfway between the two endpoints of a chord on a circle.

How is a circle chord midpt locus different from a circle?

A circle chord midpt locus is different from a circle because it is not a single, continuous curve. Instead, it is a collection of points that form a line segment connecting the two endpoints of a chord on a circle.

How can the equation for a circle chord midpt locus be derived?

The equation for a circle chord midpt locus can be derived using the Pythagorean Theorem. This theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. By setting up a right triangle with the chord of the circle as the hypotenuse, and using the midpoint of the chord as the right angle, we can derive the equation for the circle chord midpt locus.

What is the significance of the circle chord midpt locus in geometry?

The circle chord midpt locus is significant in geometry because it helps to define the properties of circles and their chords. It also has applications in real-world scenarios, such as in designing bridges and other structures that require precise measurements and calculations.

Can the concept of circle chord midpt locus be extended to other shapes?

Yes, the concept of a locus can be extended to other shapes, such as ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. In each case, the locus is defined as the set of points that satisfy a specific geometric condition, such as being equidistant from certain points or lying on a specific line. However, the equation for the locus will be different for each shape.