Circle inscribed in a parabola

In summary, the problem is to find the center of a circle with radius 1 that is inscribed in the parabola y=x^2. The center of the circle is located at (0,5/4) and can be found by solving for k in the equation (y-k)^2 + x^2 = 1, using the fact that the derivatives of the parabola and the circle will be the same at the points where they intersect.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

A circle with radius 1 inscribed in the parabola y=x^2. Find the center of the circle.

Homework Equations

equation of the parabola: y=x^2
circle: (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

After ghosting the forums and reading through every post with this exact same question, I can't quite get to the answer, which is (0,5/4).

i've assigned notation to the coordinates of the center of the circle C(h,k), and the the two points where it intersects the parabola P(x1,(f(x1)), and Q(-x1,f(-x1)). where f(x) functions y: y=f(x)=x^2.

since the center of the circle lies on the y-axis, therefore h=0. thus, the new equation of the circle is:
x^2 + (y-k)^2 = 1

by relating the parabola to the equation of the circle, i get:
x^2 + (x^2-k)^2=1

this is where i am a bit confused about how to proceed to find the value of k. i just finished calculus 1 (differentiation) this spring quarter and can't for the life of me think of how to solve this problem which is quite infuriating. from reading other posts here, I've managed to arrive at what various responses to this same question have instructed me to do, but am still lost as how finish it... here's what i got.

from differentiating the equation of the circle, i get:
2x + 2(x^2-k)(2x-0)=0
-> 2x + 4x(x^2-k)=0
-> 4x(x^2-k)=-2x
-> 1 = -(1/2(x^2-k))
-> 2(x^2-k) = -1

i've also tried expanding the equation before differentiating, i get
x^2 + x^4 -2x^2k + k^2 = 1

from grouping like-terms and factoring x^2, i get:
x^4 + (1-2k)x^2 + k^2 = 1

and here i am again am stumped as how to proceed... I've tried using the quadratic equation where a=1, b=(1-2k) (?) and c=1 but it that doesn't seem right either.

Physics news on Phys.org
I love problems like this. :smile:

I can't get any farther with the problem with what you've done, so I've started of in a different way.
So what you want to find is k since you know that h = 0. But in order to find k, you also need to find some x and y for your circle equation (y - k)2 + x2 = 1 so you can solve for k. I wouldn't substitute the equations you have and I don't think that will help you at all. Instead, solve for y and get a function of x, say g(x), for the circle (make sure you get the right function that describes the kind of circle, or part of circle actually, you have) and let the parabola be f(x) = x2 as you already did.

The derivatives of f(x) and g(x) will be the same at the two points where the circle touches the parabola, so solving the two equations together will give you an x and y like the (x1,(f(x1)) you mentioned. Substitute them in (y - k)2 + x2 = 1, or better yet your new function g(x) for the circle, and you will get k.

Last edited:

1. What is a circle inscribed in a parabola?

A circle inscribed in a parabola is a circle that is tangent to the parabola at exactly one point, and the center of the circle lies on the parabola.

2. How is the circle inscribed in a parabola related to the focus and directrix of the parabola?

The focus of the parabola is the center of the circle inscribed in the parabola, and the directrix of the parabola is the tangent line to the circle at the point of tangency.

3. Is it possible for a circle to be inscribed in any parabola?

No, not all parabolas can have a circle inscribed in them. Only parabolas with a horizontal axis of symmetry can have a circle inscribed in them.

4. How can the equation of a parabola be used to find the coordinates of the center and radius of the inscribed circle?

The equation of a parabola can be written in the form y = ax^2 + bx + c. The center of the inscribed circle will have coordinates (h, k), where h = -b/2a and k = c - b^2/4a. The radius of the inscribed circle can be found by taking the absolute value of k.

5. Can a circle and a parabola intersect at more than one point?

No, a circle and a parabola can only intersect at one point if the circle is inscribed in the parabola. If the circle intersects the parabola at two points, it is not inscribed in the parabola.