Circuit, capacitance, resonance

In summary, the problem is that the circuit does not resonate under AC power. The capacitance and resistance must be increased to achieve resonance.
disclaimer
Hi all;

So the problem goes as follows:

[FONT=&quot]For the circuit in the figure, what should be the capacitance C to put the circuit into resonance? What is then the RMS value of the current? What is, then, the peak value of the air-gap flux density? [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Is, then, the assumption about infinite permeability justified?

Here is the image:

img233.imageshack.us/img233/293/electroal2.png

Any hint concerning any part of this problem will be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance. :smile:
[/FONT]​

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint 1: How do you model the (coil + core) as a circuit element?

You haven't shown us your working.

Assuming this is not a homework question...

The assumption of infinite permeability does not have to do with resonance, but it helps you proceed and use the circuit model without worrying about nonlinearities in the core. If you meant to ask whether the assumption is valid UNDER resonance, then you have to know more about the material constituting the core and its behavior at different electrical frequencies.

Hint 2: You already have a capacitance and a resistance. What else do you need in the circuit to achieve resonance? (Extended hint: look at the voltage source...what kind of a source is it?)

The source is AC... I was going to make use of the formula [tex]\omega_0=\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/tex] for the undamped frequency, but then I'm missing [tex]L[/tex]...

maverick280857 said:
Hint 1: How do you model the (coil + core) as a circuit element?

You haven't shown us your working.

Assuming this is not a homework question...

The assumption of infinite permeability does not have to do with resonance, but it helps you proceed and use the circuit model without worrying about nonlinearities in the core. If you meant to ask whether the assumption is valid UNDER resonance, then you have to know more about the material constituting the core and its behavior at different electrical frequencies.

Hint 2: You already have a capacitance and a resistance. What else do you need in the circuit to achieve resonance? (Extended hint: look at the voltage source...what kind of a source is it?)

Okay, assuming that [tex]\omega_0=f\cdot2\pi[/tex], it looks like the following equality is true: [tex]100\pi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/tex]. But I don't know how to find [tex]C[/tex] (I would, if I knew how to calculate [tex]L[/tex], but I have no idea how from the given information). I'll be really grateful for any hint, it's due in 3 hours...

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed path through which electricity can flow. It consists of a power source, wires, and components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a circuit or component to store electrical charge. It is measured in units called farads (F).

What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when a circuit or component vibrates or oscillates at its natural frequency. This can result in a dramatic increase in the amplitude of the electrical signal.

How does capacitance affect resonance?

Capacitance can affect resonance by changing the natural frequency of a circuit. A higher capacitance will result in a lower natural frequency, while a lower capacitance will result in a higher natural frequency. This can impact the amplitude and phase of the electrical signal at resonance.

How can resonance be used in practical applications?

Resonance has a variety of practical applications, such as in radio communication, where it is used to tune the circuit to a specific frequency. It is also used in electronic filters, sensors, and oscillators. In some cases, resonance can cause unwanted effects, such as in power grids where it can lead to power surges and blackouts.