Circuit problem: Will the fuse blow out?

In summary: The current would still go through F2 and F3, but without any resistance, the current would be infinite. However, since there is a resistor (3 ohms) in the closed loop, the current would be limited to 2 amps. This is because, even though there is a 6V potential difference, the resistance in the closed loop limits the current to 2 amps, making it less than 10A and not blowing out any fuses.In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions under which a fuse will blow out, specifically in relation to a circuit with a battery, fuses, and resistors. It is determined that a fuse will blow if the current going through it is larger than its ratings, and that the
joej24

Homework Statement

Number 14.

Homework Equations

A fuse will blow out if there the current going through it is larger than the ratings of the fuses.
V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

The current from the battery comes out of the negative side (small line) and goes through F1 with almost no resistance. F1 then blows out. The resistor near S3 reduces the current

V = IR
6 = I(3)
2 = I

Since 2 < 10, F2 does not blow out

How about F3?

Does not the current flow through S1 straight into F3 with almost no resistance? Why doesn't F3 blow out?
Does the current does flow out of the negative end of the battery too?

Attached are the problem and solution sheets.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi joej24! :smile:

For current to flow, it must always be able to flow from a positive pole to a negative pole.
If there is no connection, or rather no potential difference, current can not flow.

As it is, the potential on loose en of F3 will change to match the potential on the battery side.
The effective potential difference will remain zero and no current will flow.

Actually The current of through the 2 ohm and the 3 ohm resistance would have to go through F2. It's easy to see that the current is still smaller than 10 A, even if F3 does
not blow.

There's a closed path through the power supply, F2, S4, the 2 ohm resistance, F3 and S1

If the current through this path is bigger than the rating of F3 it will blow. (after F1 blows, F1 will short out the power supply, so you get no voltage across the 2 ohm resistor, and therefore no current through F3 until F1 blows.)

willem2 said:
There's a closed path through the power supply, F2, S4, the 2 ohm resistance, F3 and S1

I believe the problem states that S1, S2, and S3 are closed.
In particular S4 is not closed.

Oh, I see. Since S4 is open, there is no current through F3.

So even though the current passes through the fuse (F2) before going through the resistor, F2 does not blow? In other words, The current does not change ONLY on the part of the wire past the resistor? The presence of that Resistor (3 ohms) in that specific closed path makes the current be the same, or 2 amperes, throughout it?

Also, how do we know that the current through F1 is greater than 10 A? It's only given that there is no resistance in that path and that the battery has a potential of 6V.

joej24 said:
Oh, I see. Since S4 is open, there is no current through F3.

Right! :smile:

joej24 said:
So even though the current passes through the fuse (F2) before going through the resistor, F2 does not blow? In other words, The current does not change ONLY on the part of the wire past the resistor? The presence of that Resistor (3 ohms) in that specific closed path makes the current be the same, or 2 amperes, throughout it?

Yes, in a wire without branches the current is the same everywhere.
(And in a branch the current splits in such a way that current-in equals current-out.)

joej24 said:
Also, how do we know that the current through F1 is greater than 10 A? It's only given that there is no resistance in that path and that the battery has a potential of 6V.

With zero resistance, you'll get infinite current (with a perfect battery).
It's called a short-circuit, meaning in practice that any fuses will burn out.
The problem states that the battery has "negligible internal resistance", meaning it is near perfect.

joej24 said:

If you prefer to think of this empirically, you can still solve ohm's law i = v/r .. i = 6/0 (which is undefined), however if you take the limit as r --> 0, i = 6/(small number close to zero) = infinity, or infinite current, so the current (infinite amps) through F1 > 10A.

extra credit: What would happen if F1 was not there and the conductor was continuous through S2?

Ouabache said:
extra credit: What would happen if F1 was not there and the conductor was continuous through S2?

I am not sure if I understand the question exactly.
If F1 was replaced by F2, F2 would blow out too because
I like Serena said:
With zero resistance, you'll get infinite current

If F1 is just taken out and everything else is left in place, then the current would go normally through F2 and it would not blow out because there is a resistor that decreases the intensity of the current like we figured out before.

Thanks PF and everyone!

joej24 said:
I am not sure if I understand the question exactly.
If F1 is just taken out and everything else is left in place, then the current would go normally through F2 and it would not blow out because there is a resistor that decreases the intensity of the current like we figured out before.
Extra Credit:
I wasn't suggesting to just take out F2. I mean, replace it with the same conductor it has above and below it (not leave it an open circuit).

If F1 was taken out and the conductor continuous through S2, none of the fuses would blow.

1. What causes a fuse to blow out?

A fuse will blow out when there is an excess amount of current flowing through the circuit. This can be caused by a short circuit, overload, or faulty wiring.

2. How do I know if a fuse has blown out?

You can tell if a fuse has blown out by checking if the metal strip inside the fuse is broken. Another way is to use a multimeter to test the continuity of the fuse.

3. Can a fuse blow out without a visible reason?

Yes, a fuse can blow out without a visible reason. This can happen if the fuse is old and worn out, or if there is a sudden power surge in the circuit.

4. What happens if I replace a blown fuse with a higher amp rating?

Replacing a blown fuse with a higher amp rating can be dangerous as it can allow more current to flow through the circuit than it can handle. This can cause overheating and potentially start a fire.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when dealing with a blown fuse?

Yes, it is important to turn off the power to the circuit before replacing a blown fuse. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves, when handling fuses or working on electrical circuits.