Circuits ... what is this question asking?

• Thread starter Fat_Squirrel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation discusses using a variable resistor to find the maximum potential difference, current, and power delivered to a resistor in a circuit with a battery of emf E and internal resistance r. The question also clarifies that for question (a), it is asking about the terminal voltage, and not the EMF itself. The solutions for (a) include having zero current or using a resistor with infinite resistance. (b) can be solved by having zero resistance, while (c) follows the maximum power transfer theorem, where the load resistance should be equal to the source internal resistance. However, in practical circuits, the load resistance is usually higher than the internal resistance to minimize power loss.
Fat_Squirrel

Homework Statement

A battery has an emf E and internal resistance r. A variable resistor R is connected across the terminals of the battery. Find the values of R such that

(a) the potential difference across the terminals is a maximum;
(b) the current in the circuit is a maximum;
(c) the power delivered to the resistor is a maximum.

Homework Equations

I=E/(R+r)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure if question (a) is talking about max voltage we can run on the circuit, or is just talking about the EMF in which case it never changes.

b) I assume when R=0 we get max current, no resistant means max current.
C) Max Power transfer theorem says when R=r we get max power.

Any help with a) greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks about the terminal voltage (the external connection points to the battery) in question (a).
300px-Internal_resistance.svg.png

Likes Fat_Squirrel
nsaspook said:
The question asks about the terminal voltage (the external connection points to the battery) in question (a).
300px-Internal_resistance.svg.png
Cheers.

Ok, in that case its when the current through the circuit is zero, so basically when we have a switch or a resistor with infinite resistance?

That makes sense.
I assume I'm okay on the other two?

Fat_Squirrel said:
That makes sense.
I assume I'm okay on the other two?

Yes, for perfect circuits and batteries.

Likes Fat_Squirrel
Thanks heaps. Feeling stupid. Not good when I'm stuck on one of the first questions. Appreciate the quick response. Now I can enjoy my wine in peace.

Question (c) while valid is not the best way to transfer power 'from' a battery or DC power supply. In practical circuits the load resistance is usually higher than the source internal resistance to minimize internal resistance power loss (lost to heat) with a greater percentage of power going to the load.

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or pathway that allows electricity to flow from a power source to a load, such as a light bulb or motor.

How does a circuit work?

A circuit works by using conductive materials, such as wires and components, to create a path for electricity to flow from a power source, through the load, and back to the power source. The flow of electricity is controlled by switches, resistors, capacitors, and other components.

What are the different types of circuits?

There are three main types of circuits: series, parallel, and series-parallel. In a series circuit, components are connected in a single loop. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple branches. A series-parallel circuit combines elements of both series and parallel circuits.

What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits have electricity that flows in both directions, while DC (direct current) circuits have electricity that flows in only one direction. AC is typically used for long-distance power transmission, while DC is commonly used in electronic devices.

How do I troubleshoot a circuit?

To troubleshoot a circuit, you will need to use a multimeter to check for continuity, voltage, and resistance at different points in the circuit. You may also need to visually inspect the circuit for any damaged or loose components. It is important to follow proper safety procedures when working with circuits.