1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular loop problem: finding the radius of a small circle

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In an air show, a pilot is to execute a circular loop at the speed of sound(340 m/s) . The pilot may black out if his acceleration exceeds 8g. Find the radius of the smallest circle he can use. [Take g=10 m s^-2

2. Relevant equations

possible equations: u^2 >= 2*M*G/a
    3. The attempt at a solution

u=340 m/s
    a=dv/dt=>=80 m s^-2
    M=6.00e24 kg

acceleration=dv/dt=> dv/dt=-M*G/r^2

option one
    r=sqrt(M*G/(dv/dt)=7.07e12 meters
    option 2
    a=2*M*G/u^2, a being minimal radius and not the acceleration

a= 28284271.25 meters

actual answer: r>=1445 meters

what did I do wrong? should I have used polar coordinates since the problem states that the plane is going around a loop?

Perhaps I should write:

m*dv/dt=F(z) , F(z) representing the sum of all forces. the only two forces acting on the object is the gravitational force and the centripetal force ; so my equation looks like:

dv/dt=dv/dr*dr/dt=dv/dr*v. Now I can integrate in terms of the velocity vector and radius vector.

I get something that looks like this:

dv/v=dr/r-dr/g ==> ln v = In r -r/g
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What equations do you know of that deal with circular motion?

FYI, the "r" in m*M*G/r^2 is not necessarily a radius, it's the distance between two masses.
  4. Sep 16, 2008 #3

the equations that deal with circular motion are : F(centripetal)=m*v^2/r and the equation for a particle in general motion:
    Well, since the airplane is obviously flying around a circle on earth, then doesn't the radius of the earth , plus the height the airplane is some distance above the surface of the earth become relevant in finding the total R=R(earth)+height?
  5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Benzoate! :smile:

I'm really confused :confused:

the question gives you the acceleration (8g) … which you can assume is constant (they're telling you g = 10, which is about 2% out anyway :wink:)

you don't need G or M!

Try again (and don't forget you'll have to add or subtract up to 1g for the gravity) :smile:
  6. Sep 16, 2008 #5
    could I just write:

a=v^2/r and since I know v and a I can easily calculate r correct?
  7. Sep 16, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?