1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular loop with uniform magnetic field

1. Mar 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A current carrying wire is bent into a circular loop with radius R and lies in the XY plane. A uniform magnetic field in the +z direction exists through out the plane of the loop. What is the magnetic force exerted on the loop?

2. Relevant equations
    Fb = I lb sin (theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since there is no values given and it's all conceptual this is what I got. I'm thinking it's going to be zero because Quadrant 1 and 3 will cancel each other out and quadrant 2 and 4 will cancel out. I'm not sure is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you find an equation in terms of variables for the situation?
    Do you know of other situations were you have a loop of some shape in a uniform magnetic field to guide you?

4. Mar 24, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would not believe that.
    You want to use cylindrical coordinates for this problem. You also need to assume a direction of current which should have been given in the problem.
    What is differential force dF on a segment of the loop ds carrying current i? What is the direction of ds in polar coordinates? Of dF? Of F? And finally magnitude |F|?

5. Mar 24, 2015 #4
    I already turned the homework in, but thanks everyone for the help. I went with the cancelling out because it's what my sense to me. Today the Prof went over the idea.

6. Mar 24, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And he didn't say there is a net force either pulling the loop apart or squeezing it together?

7. Mar 25, 2015 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Um. Equal forces in all directions usually counts as "zero net force" on the object itself.

If you draw a free body diagram for each element of the loop, you'll see the net force on each part is also zero (since the loop has a constant radius, the reaction forces in each direction along the loop must exactly cancel the magnetic force on the element.) Sure, there is a magnetic force trying to change the value of R. However, OP is probably still at the rigid body modelling stage - so still no net force on the loop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted