Circular loop with uniform magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a current-carrying wire bent into a circular loop in a uniform magnetic field. The equation Fb = I lb sin (theta) is mentioned for finding the magnetic force exerted on the loop. The individual discussing the problem suggests that the net force will be zero since opposite quadrants will cancel each other out. However, others in the conversation point out that this may not be the case and suggest using cylindrical coordinates to solve the problem. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the idea that there is no net force on the loop itself.
Shinwasha

Homework Statement

A current carrying wire is bent into a circular loop with radius R and lies in the XY plane. A uniform magnetic field in the +z direction exists through out the plane of the loop. What is the magnetic force exerted on the loop?

Homework Equations

Fb = I lb sin (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there is no values given and it's all conceptual this is what I got. I'm thinking it's going to be zero because Quadrant 1 and 3 will cancel each other out and quadrant 2 and 4 will cancel out. I'm not sure is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find an equation in terms of variables for the situation?
Do you know of other situations were you have a loop of some shape in a uniform magnetic field to guide you?

Shinwasha said:

Homework Statement

A current carrying wire is bent into a circular loop with radius R and lies in the XY plane. A uniform magnetic field in the +z direction exists through out the plane of the loop. What is the magnetic force exerted on the loop?

Homework Equations

Fb = I lb sin (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there is no values given and it's all conceptual this is what I got. I'm thinking it's going to be zero because Quadrant 1 and 3 will cancel each other out and quadrant 2 and 4 will cancel out. I'm not sure is correct.
I would not believe that.
You want to use cylindrical coordinates for this problem. You also need to assume a direction of current which should have been given in the problem.
What is differential force dF on a segment of the loop ds carrying current i? What is the direction of ds in polar coordinates? Of dF? Of F? And finally magnitude |F|?

I already turned the homework in, but thanks everyone for the help. I went with the cancelling out because it's what my sense to me. Today the Prof went over the idea.

Shinwasha said:
I already turned the homework in, but thanks everyone for the help. I went with the cancelling out because it's what my sense to me. Today the Prof went over the idea.
And he didn't say there is a net force either pulling the loop apart or squeezing it together?

Um. Equal forces in all directions usually counts as "zero net force" on the object itself.

If you draw a free body diagram for each element of the loop, you'll see the net force on each part is also zero (since the loop has a constant radius, the reaction forces in each direction along the loop must exactly cancel the magnetic force on the element.) Sure, there is a magnetic force trying to change the value of R. However, OP is probably still at the rigid body modelling stage - so still no net force on the loop.

1. What is a circular loop with uniform magnetic field?

A circular loop with uniform magnetic field is a simple arrangement where a wire is formed into a circular shape and a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the plane of the loop. The magnetic field is uniform, meaning it has the same strength and direction at all points within the loop.

2. How does a circular loop with uniform magnetic field work?

In a circular loop with uniform magnetic field, the magnetic field lines pass through the loop and create a force on the moving charges within the wire. This force causes the charges to move in a circular path, known as circular motion.

3. What are the applications of a circular loop with uniform magnetic field?

A circular loop with uniform magnetic field is commonly used in devices such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in scientific experiments to study the effects of magnetism on moving charges.

4. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined in a circular loop with uniform magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field in a circular loop can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand curl in the direction of the current flow, then your thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a circular loop?

The strength of the magnetic field in a circular loop depends on the current flowing through the loop, the number of turns in the loop, and the permeability of the material within the loop. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.