Lenz's law: Current induced in a split loop by a changing B-field

In summary, the direction of current induced in the circular loop of wire and wire AB, both of which have a changing magnetic field perpendicular to them, would be clockwise. However, due to the orientation of wire AB, the induced current in this wire would be minimal.
subhradeep mahata

Homework Statement

We have a circular loop of wire, with AB is another wire which is also the diameter of the circular loop. The direction of magnetic field is perpendicular to the loop, into the plane of paper. The magnetic field strength is decreased at a constant rate, without changing the direction.What is the direction of current incuced in the wire AB, if any?
upload_2018-11-7_12-54-0.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As magnetic field is into the plane of paper, and decreasing at a constant rate, it is obvious that current in the loop will be in the clockwise direction. But, I am not sure whether current will be passed in the wire AB. Also, the question seems to be a bit incorrect/incomplete to me, so feel free to ask me for any assumptions.See is you can help me out.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-7_12-54-0.png
    upload_2018-11-7_12-54-0.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 735
Physics news on Phys.org
subhradeep mahata said:

Homework Statement

We have a circular loop of wire, with AB is another wire which is also the diameter of the circular loop. The direction of magnetic field is perpendicular to the loop, into the plane of paper. The magnetic field strength is decreased at a constant rate, without changing the direction.What is the direction of current incuced in the wire AB, if any?
View attachment 233567

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As magnetic field is into the plane of paper, and decreasing at a constant rate, it is obvious that current in the loop will be in the clockwise direction. But, I am not sure whether current will be passed in the wire AB. Also, the question seems to be a bit incorrect/incomplete to me, so feel free to ask me for any assumptions.See is you can help me out.

Both half circles with the wire AB constitute closed paths, and the changing magnetic flux produces emf in both. What currents flow in the half circles?

Likes Delta2
There wouldn't be much induced in AB since its plane is not perpendicular to the magnetic field.

osilmag said:
There wouldn't be much induced in AB since its plane is not perpendicular to the magnetic field.

AB is not a plane. It is a line. But AB connected to the rest of the loop forms its own loop/s, and thus, forming a plane, which in this case, is definitely perpendicular to the magnetic field.

Zz.

@ehild In both the half circles, clockwise current will be set up. In the upper half circle, current direction is from B to A and in the lower one it is from A to B, the current magnitude being same in both the cases. So, i think clockwise current will be set up in the overall circular loop, with no current going in wire AB.

subhradeep mahata said:
@ehild In both the half circles, clockwise current will be set up. In the upper half circle, current direction is from B to A and in the lower one it is from A to B, the current magnitude being same in both the cases. So, i think clockwise current will be set up in the overall circular loop, with no current going in wire AB.
Correct.

What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will be such that it opposes the change that caused it. This means that if the magnetic field through a loop of wire is changing, the induced current will create its own magnetic field that opposes the change.

How does Lenz's Law relate to Faraday's Law of Induction?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor. Lenz's Law determines the direction of this induced EMF.

What is the significance of a split loop in Lenz's Law?

A split loop refers to a conducting loop that has a gap or break in it. This is important in Lenz's Law because the induced current will only flow in the closed portion of the loop, creating a magnetic field that opposes the change in the external magnetic field. This allows for the loop to experience a force and move in response to the changing magnetic field.

How does Lenz's Law apply to everyday devices?

Lenz's Law is used in many everyday devices, such as electric motors and generators. In these devices, a changing magnetic field induces a current in a split loop of wire, which creates a magnetic field that interacts with the external field, causing the loop to rotate. This rotation is what allows for the conversion of electrical energy into mechanical energy (in the case of a motor) or vice versa (in the case of a generator).

What are some real-world applications of Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law has various practical applications, including metal detectors, induction cooking, and magnetic braking systems. It is also used in power plants to generate electricity from steam turbines and in electromagnetic levitation systems for high-speed trains. Additionally, Lenz's Law is used in scientific research, such as in the study of magnetic fields in space and the Earth's core.