Circular Motion and acceleration

In summary: There is a way to eliminate the unknown mass, leaving just one equation with only one unknown in it.In summary, the problem involves circular motion with 0 acceleration. The goal is to find the mass of the washers and paper clips by equating Fc to Fg, using the given information of the number of washers, radius, mass of the stopper, and period. However, there are two unknowns and two equations, making it difficult to solve. The key is to eliminate the unknown mass, leaving only one equation with one unknown.
aznclem
Ok, for the circular motion, where we are suppose to have 0 acceleration,
this is the problem i have

My question ask for mass of the washers and paper clips by equating Fc to Fg,

and I am given the # of washers,
The radius
and the mass of the stopper.

and the period

now it ask me for mass

how do i find this?
i kno that
Fc = mv^2/r
or
Fc = 4pi^2rm/T^2
and
Fg = mg,
but how do i do it?
i can't seem to figure it out,
even after i figure out the speed, it doesn't help, i have 2 unknowns...The
Fc, and the mass...
help please?

Incase this helps, i am swinging the tubber sopper, with a tube, and below the tube is the paper clip to keep my distance so i kno i am swinging at a constant speed, then at the end of string is my washers for the mass.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aznclem said:
Ok, for the circular motion, where we are suppose to have 0 acceleration,
The centripetal acceleration is certainly not zero!

this is the problem i have

My question ask for mass of the washers and paper clips by equating Fc to Fg,
OK.

and I am given the # of washers,
The radius
and the mass of the stopper.

and the period

now it ask me for mass
So you are given the mass of the stopper and you must compute the mass of the washers?

how do i find this?
i kno that
Fc = mv^2/r
or
Fc = 4pi^2rm/T^2
What mass does m stand for here?
and
Fg = mg,
What mass does m stand for here?

Realize that those equations use different masses: one uses the known mass of the stopper; the other uses the unknown mass of the washers.

I understand your confusion and am happy to help. First, let's review the concept of circular motion and acceleration. In circular motion, an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, but its direction is constantly changing. This change in direction is what we call acceleration. In order for an object to maintain circular motion, there must be a force acting towards the center of the circle, known as centripetal force (Fc). This force is equal to the mass (m) of the object multiplied by its velocity squared (v^2) and divided by the radius (r) of the circle. So, the equation is Fc = mv^2/r.

Now, in your problem, you are given the number of washers, the radius, the mass of the stopper, and the period (T) of the motion. To find the mass of the washers and paper clip, you will need to use both the equations Fc = mv^2/r and Fg = mg. Fg represents the force of gravity, which is equal to the mass (m) of the object multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (g). In this case, the object is the washers and paper clip, and the acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2.

To solve for the mass, you will need to set the two equations equal to each other and rearrange to solve for m. The equation will look like this: mv^2/r = mg. You already know the values for v, r, and g, so you can substitute those in and solve for m. Once you have the mass, you can then use it to find the individual masses of the washers and paper clip by dividing by the total number of washers and adding it to the mass of the stopper.

I also wanted to address your concern about having two unknowns in the equation. This is a common issue in physics problems and can be solved by using multiple equations and solving simultaneously. In this case, you have two equations (Fc = mv^2/r and Fg = mg) and two unknowns (m and v). By setting the equations equal to each other, you can eliminate one of the unknowns and solve for the other.

I hope this helps you understand and solve the problem. Remember, when facing a complex physics problem, it's important to break it down into smaller parts

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center of the circle remains constant. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed, but a continuously changing direction.

2. How is acceleration related to circular motion?

In circular motion, acceleration is always present because the direction of the velocity is constantly changing. This acceleration is known as centripetal acceleration and is always directed towards the center of the circle.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain an object's circular motion.

4. What is the difference between tangential and radial acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the object's velocity, while radial acceleration is the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to the object's velocity. In circular motion, tangential acceleration is always zero, while radial acceleration is non-zero.

5. How is circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Circular motion can be explained by Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law, F=ma, explains how centripetal force is necessary to maintain circular motion. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which can be seen in the relationship between centripetal force and centrifugal force in circular motion.