1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal force ball on a string lab

1. Nov 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So referring to this lab , http://static3.mbtfiles.co.uk/media...ureate/physics/824297/html/images/image12.png

In this lab you are holding the plastic tube and twirling it to make the small mass spin in a circle. Keep in mind there is a mass on the bottom.

I have to create an expression for Fc with theta and radius.

2. Relevant equations

Fc = 4pi^2rf^2 * m
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Well from the FBD of the small mass, we know that FC = FT

and from the FBD of the mass at the bottom we know that FT=FG.

Therefore for the system, wouldn't FC = FG of the mass on the bottom?

As for the equation i am not really sure were to start, could someone help me out please.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2016 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The string attached tot the mass going in a circle is angled downwards a bit, that is the horizontal plane in which the mass is circling is a bit below the top of the tube. That is the theta that is mentioned. Best to draw a diagram and post it.

4. Nov 17, 2016 #3
    so i know the lab looks something like this, and the Fg of the small mass will cancel out the fty in the tension, therefore ftx controlling the motion.

Attached Files:

• lab.png
      lab.png
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views:
  5. Nov 17, 2016 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Yes, the x component provides the centripetal force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted