1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion and static friction of earth

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A platform on earth rotates at constant angular speed 2 rad/s. A 60 kg man stands on the platform. Static friction between the platform and the man's feet prevent slipping.
    (a) Make a diagram showing the forces he exerts on the platform standing a distance r from the axis of rotation. r = 0, 1, 2
    (b) What direction does the man sense as "up"? Calculate the angle that "up" makes with the vertical using values of r as stated.
    (c) If plants were planted on the platform, in what direction would they grow?

2. Relevant equations
    a = omega^2 r

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) In the x plane, force of friction acts as force of centripetal acceleration = m omega^2 r. What I don't understand is what is the reactive force?
    In the y plane, normal force opposes gravitational force = mg. If this is so, the man's weight should be constant, despite his distance from the rotational axis. Is (a) a trick question?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums.
    It doesn't matter what we call the reaction force merely that one exists. Since the table exerts a force on the man, the man must also exert a force on the table in the opposite direction (i.e. radially outward) and of the same magnitude. I am being intentionally vague regarding the 'name' of this reaction force to avoid a long discussion on the centrifugal force.
    No trick, you are indeed correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook